Gunnel Rod Holders

OlivierHPS2300

Just replaced mine which were 3/16 shock cord. I bought it online from a place called Paracord Planet. Was also available from my local Ace hardware. Can't tell from the picture if yours are the same. I had to unscrewed the rodholders to get to a hidden screw holding the bungee splice at the top of the holder. The ends were spliced together with stainless hog rings which I was able.to pry off and recrimp with pliers. Takes about 10 minutes per to replace. You could also splice the ends with a knot, adhesive lined heatshrink, or a thread wrap.

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2017 at 8:06 AM, wthree3 said:

Just replaced mine which were 3/16 shock cord. I bought it online from a place called Paracord Planet. Was also available from my local Ace hardware. Can't tell from the picture if yours are the same. I had to unscrewed the rodholders to get to a hidden screw holding the bungee splice at the top of the holder. The ends were spliced together with stainless hog rings which I was able.to pry off and recrimp with pliers. Takes about 10 minutes per to replace. You could also splice the ends with a knot, adhesive lined heatshrink, or a thread wrap.

Do you know if the shock cord you got was UV stable?  I got some from local Ace for different project, and it crapped out after less than a year from sun exposure (I guess?).  Didn't seem like it was made for outdoor/marine use.  Want to put some straps on the rocket launchers of my T-top to keep rods from bouncing.

• 1 year later...

Archived