97 LT20 bad fuel leak

Bout Time 1

Yep. When I pulled the tank I found out the welds on the rear angle mounting bracket had broken basically leaving the tank loose in the back. The leak was over one of the cross braces the tank rests on. I guess tank movement caused a wear issue. Anyways, I'm gonna down size the tank to make it an easier install. 52x21x8.25 yields 39 gallons which is plenty for me. The front will attach in the same spot. I'm just gonna shorten the back of the tank by one support brace and lose the L shape on the passenger side. 

IMG_3591.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Moisture (condensation, water in gas, etc) collecting in the bottom of the tank will cause corrosion. Once the corrosion eats thru the tank, small, pin-hole leaks will develop. Expect 20-25 years out of an aluminum tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2017 at 0:16 PM, polliwog said:

It's good to know that it can be pulled without cutting.  Did you get the same tank to replace it ?  I'm still curious as to how the tank failed and from what.  Age alone shouldn't make an aluminum tank go bad. 

TNT boatworks tack welded the original angle bracket mounts on. The welds on the rear bracket failed causing the tank to be loose in the rear.  The hole was directly above one of the bulkheads the tank sits on. Probably from rubbing and just being old. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived