GPS PLotter Replacement

Candle

I have a Garmin 178C on my 16 Redfisher. Right size and features, BUT the screen gets "burned". This is my second one and as they are now discontinued by Garmin. I am looking for a replacement. The Garmin people recommended a 547 (?) but said that the transducer and power plugs do not match and that there may be an adapter so I can use my existing TD.

Does anyone out there have a recommendation? I do not want to have to run a new transducer cable. Getting too old for that stuff.

Thanks!

178C was my favorite small screen GPS. Went through 4. All lost their screens.  I did lots of research years ago and could not find anyone that sold just the screen.  I now use the Echomap 50s. I really like it. Very simple and clear.  You need an adapter from Garmin to use your older Ducer.  

I have a Garmin 740 on my boat. I am considering switching to a Simrad or Lowrance unit so I can use Florida Marine Tracks. The 740 has been great but seriously lacks map detail in skinny water and often shows you on land when you are not. Anyone made the switch?

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2017 at 3:41 PM, blackacre said:

I have a Garmin 740 on my boat. I am considering switching to a Simrad or Lowrance unit so I can use Florida Marine Tracks. The 740 has been great but seriously lacks map detail in skinny water and often shows you on land when you are not. Anyone made the switch?

I made the switch.  Losing the Garmin and getting FMT was the best money I ever spent on my boat.  FMT cartography in a totally different league and puts the others to shame. All of the Garmin maps rate an F by comparison in every way including that new HD everglades chip they now sell.  Must be pretty embarassing for Garmin the behomoth to get their doors blown off by this small quality mapping group.  Get an HDS or Simrad unit with FMT on your skiff and I am confident you will never look back at Garmin again.  Do a search on some other boards on FMT and you will find nothing but the same kind of commentary.  It's not by accident or coincidence. 

Archived