2002 21MA Repower/Reno

Chitwood21MA

Great looking boat, I hope you get it fixed up and back on the water.

I wonder if you've had these issues for a while. You said back in the start of your post, the deck had ripples and they were sanded smooth, that could've been your first indication of problems?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2017 at 7:46 AM, FMB MEGALOPS said:

As you know the max is 175 and it's what's on there now. I'm Yamaha #1 then Suzuki and that's it. I've got a really good contact on Suzuki's way cheaper than Yami. Never been a Merc fan. I've had really bad experience with them. I fish a lot of live bait, so my live well and release well are always filled. I like the 175hp, but it's really hard to justify buying a new motor. 

I've always wondered what I could get for my 175 VMAX? 565 hrs. runs perfect. Thoughts. 

You have a F150 right? What are your numbers? Maybe when you're ready to sell we could talk about that? 

When you get price numbers would you mind let me know? I know one day I will need new power, and if Im gonna buy new its gonna be a 175. I prefer Yamaha, but could be ok with Suzuki for the right price. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is some of the issues-

1: The Stringers are good, but the "Puddy"/Epoxy Maverick used to bond the deck & hull has started to fail.  The fix is to cut the deck out & build up the stringers so the deck sits right on top of them instead of using 1" of "Puddy". I was told this by a few different Shops that have worked on quite a few Maverick/Pathfinder- They said this is the norm for MBC boats & thats why you see so many with cracks on the deck.

2: The Top of the transom is starting to separate because the Epoxy is failing there as well, kickers are fine but The top needs to be cut away & glassed over & tied into the boat.

3: New Gas Tank

4: Redo the deck & fix all the hatches, replace hardware where needed- The last guy broke off a ton of screws when he removed the hatches & just left most of the hinges with one or two screws.

Here is a picture of some of the "puddy" i am talking about.

IMG_20170508_180440.jpg

IMG_20170508_180449.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of the putty that he chiseled off the top of the transom and a few others- The crazy thing is after he took off the putty there was only 7/8" of fiberglass above the Holes to mount the motor. Seems like a design flaw and he is going to build the glass up and possibly drop down the motor another 1" so its more into the "meat" of the Transom.

IMG_20170808_150814_535.jpg

IMG_20170809_083703_01.jpg

IMG_20170808_093650.jpg

IMG_20170808_103922.jpg

IMG_20170808_093612.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 7:40 PM, Chitwood21MA said:

Boatmaster will have my trailer done this week- Next step is to hang the motor & put the Console back on.

So the only thing left is the deck, you did the tank and everything else already?  Looks really slick.  Is that new spray at the rear awlgrip?

12 hours ago, RacerxV6 said:

So the only thing left is the deck, you did the tank and everything else already?  Looks really slick.  Is that new spray at the rear awlgrip?

The tank will be replaced when it goes back in the shop next year along with the deck & stringers.  Yes, Thats Awlgrip.

Trailers done-

IMG_20171019_133704.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived