2002 21MA Repower/Reno

Chitwood21MA

I bought this boat used in 2006 with a 300X on it (This is Chuck Cash's old boat before he went to Lake & Bay). I Fished it hard (Boat ran High 60's) for a good 1-1/2 years before throwing a rod in the Merc.  Around this time the Economy took a dump and decided to wait on a repower.  Fast forward to late 2015, after almost selling the hull 3 times I finally decided to put it back together.

First I dropped it off for some glass work- The deck had ripples in it so my glass guy hand-planed it and redid the non-skid, Glassed over the console/ removed all the Mercury gauges/Gps,  & misc gelcoat repairs.

Next was the repower/rigging- I wanted a 250 but San Carlos Marine would only sell me what the boat was rated for (225) so I settled.

Here's the goodies so far:

Motor- Yamaha SHO 225 w/Command link LCD

Jack Plate- 10" Bobs

Prop- 4 Blade Bravo 1 15-1/4 & 21p (all holes plugged) 64.6mph 

3x Optima Bluetops

8' Powerpole Blade

Complete rewire 

There are a couple of things left before its 100% but should be done in the next week or 2, will post pics when shes finally back in my driveway.

244348_2063925365092_7301874_o.jpg

0726161517.jpg

0919161009.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

IMG_20170412_084751.jpg

IMG_20170412_084804.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You know chitwood, there really is no such thing as too many pics.  Feel free to post more, you really have a work of art there!  And btw, you mentioned your 4 and 6 year old sons, the best is yet to come.  At some point in the not so distant future, they will be begging you to take them fishing, and soon after that, they will get VERYannoyed if you have the audacity to go with a buddy instead of them.  

Involve them in this boat project early and often so they the it as theirs.  It will make every trip even better.

Wow, Wow, Wow.....AND I see you're at San Carlos Marine so we may see each other out there in Ft. Myers! Boat is gorgeous...congrats. I'm looking to do the same thing with my 18 MA. I want to sell my VMAX 175 and get a 175 SHO. 

BTW....nice truck too to go with! Congrats!

Side note....who's your glass guy? 

11 hours ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

Wow, Wow, Wow.....AND I see you're at San Carlos Marine so we may see each other out there in Ft. Myers! Boat is gorgeous...congrats. I'm looking to do the same thing with my 18 MA. I want to sell my VMAX 175 and get a 175 SHO. 

BTW....nice truck too to go with! Congrats!

Side note....who's your glass guy? 

You hang a SHO 175 on yours, and I'm going to need some numbers. I'm strongly considering the PRO XS 175 Route on the SMURFETTE 

I always said if my vmax ever ate it, I'd go pro xs. The 21 hull was designed to not need a jackplate, I know a lot of people have taken them off, I've considered it but that great once in a while it really is advantageous. I think a 10" would really stress the transom.

11 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

You hang a SHO 175 on yours, and I'm going to need some numbers. I'm strongly considering the PRO XS 175 Route on the SMURFETTE 

As you know the max is 175 and it's what's on there now. I'm Yamaha #1 then Suzuki and that's it. I've got a really good contact on Suzuki's way cheaper than Yami. Never been a Merc fan. I've had really bad experience with them. I fish a lot of live bait, so my live well and release well are always filled. I like the 175hp, but it's really hard to justify buying a new motor. 

I've always wondered what I could get for my 175 VMAX? 565 hrs. runs perfect. Thoughts. 

You have a F150 right? What are your numbers? Maybe when you're ready to sell we could talk about that? 

On 5/1/2017 at 7:49 PM, captbryan said:

Looks great! What was the thought process on the 10" setback on the jack plate? Also is that paint or a wrap? Again it looks great!

Believe it or not that is the original Gelcoat-  I was running a 12" paralift on the previous setup & decided to try a 10" Bobs with the 225, so far so good (The 21MA loves bow lift, at least mine does).  This thing shoots outta the hole like a rocket & that 4 blade Bravo1 is impressive, I hit 61mph with 60 gallons of fuel, 3 people, & a 65qt full of Ice/drinks.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:15 PM, fsusteve said:

I always said if my vmax ever ate it, I'd go pro xs. The 21 hull was designed to not need a jackplate, I know a lot of people have taken them off, I've considered it but that great once in a while it really is advantageous. I think a 10" would really stress the transom.

I didn't know that- All of the 21's around here were always running JP's, not sure I've ever seen one without.  I ran that 12" paralift for a few years with no issues (knock on wood) and hope for a few more with this setup.  

OUCH - man, I hate that.   Chances are you are still moving forward - it was there before you saw it, now you will make it right.  It will be a better and more solid boat when you finish with her.  

One piece of advice - document the HELL out of the repairs, get pics of every stage.   A repair job done well by a reputable repair place and well documented can actually help resale.   A repair that isn't well documented can scare folks off.    Whatever it takes, make the repair something to brag about and not something to have to apologize for.  

Took to a reputable boat builder "Hugh Saints Custom Boats" & they will fix it. Nothing major- Except cutting the deck off & replacing it lol.  They are going to go through the whole boat & make all repairs needed, gelcoat/non skid the entire cap, & replace the fuel tank while its open.  Two Weeks max & work will begin the first week of June,  He said as long as I'm not taking my boat 60 miles offshore normal use is fine.  

IMG_20170507_131620-2.jpg

Archived