First year of hpx t? 2001?

drewzx3

15 minutes ago, flyfishinglife said:

I have a 2001 I bought used in 2003. Repowered with F70 in 2016. Haven't had any water intrusion issues but I did replace the rub rail early on, the original was really scuffed up. 

Hopefully it has already been addressed. It's at a dealer so they don't know much about it. What kind of speed are you getting with the 70? This one has a 70 2 stroke 

Looks like a good deal to me. The custom poling tower with back rest looks like a nice touch. Also like the grab rail over the console, handy when moving around. Push pole and front casting platform nice options too. 

I can get 35 on the GPS with the F70 and four blade PowerTech prop at about 5500 rpm. Rarely push it like that. That's with a light load. Mostly cruise at 25-27 at 3900- 4200 rpm. I think the F70 has more than doubled the fuel economy of the original two stroke 70. It's capable of running very shallow but takes some getting used to. Little or no keel, will slide in turns. Can spin up fast to get on plane in little more than a foot of water. I've owned mine for 14 years and have no plans to sell it. I fish the Pine Island Sound area, and avoid the sound on windy days. If you must routinely cross open waters to reach the fishing the HPX V is a better option. 

Marine survey might be a good idea if the dealer is claiming they dont know much about it.  Sometimes that is code for "we dont know what we dont want to know."   Looks like a good deal to me if it checks out.  Things to think about that the survey can check out for you are:

-fuel tank leaking, corroded, sludgy, etc

- wiring corrosion, rats nest, jerry rigged, dangerous

- stringer damage

- repairs that arent being disclosed

- engine issues (some surveyors are not experts here)

-Trailer issues

The 4 or 500 you pay for the survey may turn up a couple thousand bucks of issues, some you might be able to live with but at least use to negotiate the price down.

Archived