2003 MA 18 TM Battery Box

FMB MEGALOPS

I saw another member build a sweet new box on his MA. I just bought my new sled and saw that there was water in the bottom after being washed. It obviously came through the lid since the seals need to be replaced, but I would think there would drain holes in the bottom. I haven't taken out the TM batteries to see, but do you guys have drain holes in the bottom? I will definitely be customizing this box this year. Ideas?

Thanks

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Thanks Hurricane for the quick response. I don't like that at all. Standing water around my batteries is not going to happen long. I'm really surprised that there's not some small drain holes in the bottom. There has to be a reason there's not??? 

I grew up in Tampa Bay (Seminole & Clearwater). My parents still live in Seminole so I'm up there every month. You fish Clearwater, Dunedin area at all? I've got some really good snook & redfish spots there. 

Hurricane - basically just match it up best you can and order what you need to redo the gaskets? Any adhesive?

FMB - on my 2000 looks like holes in the box would simply drain to the sump so why not.  Definitely don't want to hold the water in the battery box.  Then next we need to stop the water from coming in, ideally.

Don't believe there were any drain holes in the box I took out however the box pictured is not the same as the one piece molded box that was in mine. I thought about putting drain holes in the new one but figured if I ever had fuel fumes below deck I wouldn't want fumes finding their way into the battery box. Unlikely to have a fuel leak and a spark but decided against it anyway.

Great point wthree3. Now you got me worried about putting some small drain holes in and blowing up my boat HAHA. Maybe I could just drill a plug hole and pull the plug if water ever got in there again? The water did evaporate in a day, but I still don't like that. I could also put the batteries in their own battery cases. That way water would almost have to fill the whole compartment to reach the top. 

I do a lot of live baiting so I'm always bring the net right in on top of that hatch. Wave over bow?? hurricane, I like those seals from McMaster-Carr. They actually go on the bottom with a bulb on top of the seal, perfect. Take a look at the top lid seals. Can these be just attached back on with adhesive? The corners are doing this on almost every lid. Have you guys ever replaced these? They seem so thin. The lids seem like they couldn't definitely handle thicker seals. 

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

6 hours ago, FMB MEGALOPS said:

You're the man Hurricane. I received and installed the bulb seals and they are perfect! My lids don't make a sound when closing and are a perfect fit. You were dead on with that part number. I put them around three compartments. 

Thanks

Glad to help.

Archived