Gel coat problem. What caused this?

Convertible13

I had that happen on a boat a few years ago, but it sat in the water for a month. When mine dried out, the blisters went away. Gelcoat is pours and will absorb water. Hopefully, when it dries the blisters will disappear. I keep my new boat in the water about 4 days, sometimes 5 days, but it's got several layers of polish on the hull. I think that is the secrete for short term stays in the water.   

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what is going on because boats are made to be in the water continuously.  I have 2 that stay in the water for 6 mos at a time.  I have never had that happen. Let us know if the blisters go away with drying out process.  The under water part of the hull should  have no sun damage to the gel coat.

I'm assuming "I have 2 that stay in the water for 6 mos at a time" these have bottom paint? You won't do that in the warm Florida waters without bottom paint, especially in the summer months. The growth of scum will be so bad you won't be able to get your boat on plane.

They have bottom paint,but the paint isn't water proof and in fact absorbs water.  The rear of the Hewes LT tackle has some 1-2 inches in the rear that is always in the water and doesn't have bottom paint.   They are NE and even there you will have growth in weeks during the warm summer waters.

Are you sure the boat hasnt been repainted? Most paints arent meant to be kept in the water and will blister after only a couple of days.

Ive seen several boats blister where bunks were but never on the hull side like yours. Generally the type of resin at factory comes into play, but not after 6 days usually.

If i had to guess, your boat was repainted at one point and its not actual gelcoat.

How can I tell if it's gel coat or Paint? It looks like gel coat to me. I called Maverick and talked to Ray in customer service. He wasn't much help. The attitude I got was sh@t happens. He said their boats are built more for day use and kept on trailers or lifts and not to be kept in the water for extended periods of time. Seriously? 6 days is not a long time to me. Basically he said I have a boat that can't be kept in the water. His suggestion was to use bottom paint which I'm not going to do since I rarely have the boat in the water for more than a day and will look like I'm trying to cover damage up whenever I sell it. Plus it looks like crap in my opinion to have bottom paint on the side of my boat.

Although I don't know if Maverick does this, apparently, a lot of high volume boat builders bid out for resin. Resin is expensive. They may get resin from 2 or more companies a year. That would explain why the same model and year boat might have some that blister and some that don't. Maybe my boat and others who bought Pathinders and Mavericks and have blistering problems, got an inferior resin. I'm finding out there are others with this same problem.

I was a true blue MBG follower until this mess happened. If I can't leave one of their boats in the water for a week without severely damaging the hull, I'll buy another brand. I'd planned on going to the SW Florida owners tournament this year but now I'm worried I'll do more damage keeping my boat in the water for 3 days.

The boat has been out of the water for a couple weeks. The blisters went way down but I can still feel them and see them if I look closely.

Convertible, are you the original owner?  I am begining to think that the hull was reshot with gel coat at some time to refurbish it.

The answer given by MBC is totally bogus,boat is meant to be dry sailed only ,REALLY.  I have a 1997 HEWES LT that has spent all it's summer life in the water as I stated, NO BUBBLES anywhere.  Fiberglass is fiberglass.  I also assume the hull isn't a carbon fiber/ kevlar boat.  That shouldn't make a difference,but it would be good know.

Actually, if Ray said those things, his explanation was correct.  His attitude may not have been kind and helpful, but he knows his stuff.  Polyester resin gelcoat is semi-permeable and will absorb water under pressure if it is not sealed.  Boats made with epoxy resin are better at resisting the effects of water.  However, epoxy resin boats are very expensive to build and would probably not be affordable for many of us.  It sounds like the moral of the story is:  Keep your hull sealed regularly with a good polymer-type polish/sealant.  In a case where the hull has been neglected or became waterlogged and blistered - maybe the hull should be allowed to dry out, then sanded, then painted with a high-quality epoxy paint.  Regardless, I would not expect any boat manufacturer to do much, in the way of warranty, on this type of issue after 14 years of use.

Why would Maverick or Hewes boats have a different gel coat than hundreds of  other boat manufacturers?  Most boats stay in the water for months on end,obviously with bottom paint,but that doesn't do anything but prevent fouling the bottom.  Water is on all these hulls and topsides continuously.  I don't get it.  I haven't seen the warning not to leave the boat in the water,can anyone point that warning in a catalog?

If a boat is going to sit in the water for extended periods it needs to have a barrier coat applied and then anti fouling paint.

The barrier coat is to prevent the gel coat from absorbing water and blistering. Age of the boat and the condition of the gel coat may make it more prone to blistering. Some gel coats are more prone to it than others. Google gel coat blistering. Tons of info.

The first sentence I spoke to Ray stated I wasn't trying to get warranty work done on my boat.  I'm the second owner and the boat is 15 years old. No where in my above posts did I say I wanted them to fix it. I was trying to find out why it happened, how to prevent it from happening again  and what my options were to fix it.   I wasn't expecting to hear don't keep it in the water or if you do, put bottom paint on it. 

In its present condition, I guess if I go on a week long fishing trip, I'll have to put it on the trailer every night instead of leaving it in a wet slip since it was only in the water 6 days. I found out I'm not the only one that's had this problem. Another member of this forum and other forums have had similar issues. 

BTW Where in the manual does it say you can't keep it in the water?

On 4/3/2017 at 3:05 PM, Convertible13 said:

I had my 2002 MA 21 in the water for a week, put it on the lift to detail and found blistering in the gelcoat under the waterline. What happened and how do I fix it? The blisters are small but there are hundreds of them. I've left her in the water before and never had the problem. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can you provide more pictures and more of a perspective....are you sure that's the original gelcoat color?

dc

As Capt Troy stated.....gel coated & painted boats alike require barrier & anti fouling coats on the hull bottom if they're kept in the water for extended periods of time. That's common knowledge in the marine industry. What Ray @ MBC told you was spot on. I'm not sure you'll find that info in a boat manual but it definitely should be stated for those that don't know.

The more I look at the pictures of those bubbles the more I believe that the gel coat is either not original or has been painted over. Ray or Skip should be able to look up the original gel coat color of your boat if you PM them your HIN. A marine professional can tell you quickly if the boat has been painted but if it's been re-gel coated the original color then it may be harder to determine what you're dealing with.

While I don't think they should need to warranty a 15 year old boat, I gotta agree if it should only be in water for "X" many days, it should be stated somewhere in your manual.  I've honestly only ever thought the danger of doing so was growth, not ruining a hull.

I have kept my boat in water for up to 10 days in keys a few times and never had this.  Some small hard growth that I had to press wash, but nothing like this!  

Archived