Simrad Totalscan Spraying Water

dcathey

1 hour ago, FLDXT said:

My tm150 does that, only way I can get it to read at speed, I just deal with it. 

How do you like the totalscan? Been debating going to it so I don't have two transducers hanging off my boat.

I installed the the totalscan on my MA. It took some thought and some fab. The totalscan doesn't have the mounting tabs like the LSS, so it makes it tough to flush mount. I had to mount it to starboard first.  Also the Totalscan can be tough to find a good location to install. Since, it needs to be in the water at all times, and have a clear view to both sides. This is what I did.

20161231_165642.jpg

20161231_165740.jpg

Your sidescan transducer is mounted too low.  It needs to be 1/2" above the bottom of your boat.

i suggest you remove the transducer, screw in a piece of Starboard ( see picture) and then screw the transducer bracket into the Starboard, this minimizes the number of holes in your transom.

image.jpeg

I've got some room on bracket to move up to at least flush if not a little higher than bottom of boat. Will raising that high affect its performance?

FLDXT - so far so good, it reads great but I'm learning all this on the fly with sidescan, sonic hub , nss9 all at once. Other than the spray i like it since I don't have more than one transducer mounted

• 2 years later...

I've had the same spray issue with my Totalscan transducer. I went so far as to get at quote from the Australian company that makes the nice stainless steel version. But after receiving his quote of $176. AUS$, I saw my beer budget wasn't going to support the champagne pricing. So I made my own on the cheap. One Dremel cutter, a drill and one stiff  plastic Tupperware lid was all that you need. I've enclosed one photo - all you should need to understand the simplicity of the solution. Give this a try before you spend the big bucks.

shield.jpg

I had to put a spray shield on my Garmin. Then a week later I removed the entire unit and replaced it with a Raymarine gps/ depthfinder and the Raymarine Downview transducer sprayed an incredible amount of water into the bottom of the engine, as well as up onto the steering arm and rigging cables. No matter how much I raised it up, it was still bad. I fabricated one out of aluminum. Problem solved. 

A8721F0D-3A3C-442B-8067-413F1CC428EF.jpeg

EF9A6E33-717E-4EB9-A4FB-31DBD0F51A06.jpeg

On 4/19/2019 at 8:50 AM, HewesYourDaddy said:

I had to put a spray shield on my Garmin. Then a week later I removed the entire unit and replaced it with a Raymarine gps/ depthfinder and the Raymarine Downview transducer sprayed an incredible amount of water into the bottom of the engine, as well as up onto the steering arm and rigging cables. No matter how much I raised it up, it was still bad. I fabricated one out of aluminum. Problem solved. 

A8721F0D-3A3C-442B-8067-413F1CC428EF.jpeg

EF9A6E33-717E-4EB9-A4FB-31DBD0F51A06.jpeg

I thought my transducer on my Garmin and   Lowrance were big that Raymarine looks like the night stick I used to carry when I was a rookie on patrol. 

I’m glad you solved the spray issue. You did a nice job on the DYI.

3 hours ago, Coto said:

I thought my transducer on my Garmin and   Lowrance were big that Raymarine looks like the night stick I used to carry when I was a rookie on patrol. 

I’m glad you solved the spray issue. You did a nice job on the DYI.

Thanks. I told my wife that the size of the transducer made me feel inadequate. Hahahaha

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, MPFit said:

When I moved mine up enough to stop the spray, I would lose bottom depth readings on plane. I moved it back down and have been dealing with the spray for now but plan to block it with a splash guard of some sort. 

Took my boat to local mechanic to get seals in steering replaces and he said my transducer was too low an would interfere with my trailer soe he raised it to even with the bottom of the boat. I now loose bottom above 10 mph. Have to reinstall at the old position.

For what it's worth, some of that spray is being ingested into your engine. I have Garmin transducers. Their spray shields work well. I would highly recommend fabricating one for any transducer that is kicking up any unusual amount of spray in a saltwater environment.

Total Scan is very sensitive to spray if its too low.  Tiny adjustments of only 1/8 to 1/4" make a difference.  If you loose bottom at speed but the spray stops, lower it by only 1/8th and try it again and make sure its parallel with the water surface when you are on plane.  That said, you may be better off just switching it for the new 3 in 1.  Its much more sensitive and the images are much better.  The side scanning on an evo3 is about twice as good as total scan.  I also found that it does not need to be in the water anywhere near as much to work great at speed.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, Mearle said:

I've had the same spray issue with my Totalscan transducer. I went so far as to get at quote from the Australian company that makes the nice stainless steel version. But after receiving his quote of $176. AUS$, I saw my beer budget wasn't going to support the champagne pricing. So I made my own on the cheap. One Dremel cutter, a drill and one stiff  plastic Tupperware lid was all that you need. I've enclosed one photo - all you should need to understand the simplicity of the solution. Give this a try before you spend the big bucks.

shield.jpg

Your wife is gonna be looking for that Tupperware lid! haha

Archived