2006 Hewes Redfisher 18 Yamaha Performance 4 VMAX150

MPFit

Got a new prop off of Craigslist the other day and threw it on for some trials on the lake.

2006 Redfisher 18

2005 VMAX 150

Yamaha Performance 4: 13 3/4 Diameter 20Pitch

WOT RPM (trimmed) 5400 / 51mph

WOT RPM not trimmed 5100 / 48mph

Very happy with these speeds. Only issue was the prop is a 'K' series (4.25 gearcase) and the vmax is a 4.75. I noticed some odd ventilation in the low RPM range and it's probably exhaust air causing prop ventilation. I have an exhaust ring on order to see if it helps but I'm not struggling to plane or anything. Prop slip calculator putting me at 1%. Can't complain about that!

• 4 weeks later...

Got the ventilation ring Mercury makes for their Troohy prop. Basically a plastic ring that slides on top of prop before it gets inserted into lower unit. Removed all low speed ventilation, no decrease in the holeshot. Top end the same as well as planing speeds. If anyone else has a setup like mine (06 RF18 with a Vmax 150) then I think the 20p 4 blade is the perfect match.

Yea I was surprised. That was with me (170lbs), full tank, light load of gear. Ran it yesterday - 3 people, live well full and medium gear. Didn't go WOT but punched it just shy of and put out 42mph at 4700rpm. This was untrimmed as I wanted the bow down to help with windy chop.

Archived