18MA - Give me your best ideas

palmetto1

The forward battery box on mine was cracking in the corners and nothing I tried would stop the cracks from slowly propagating. Ended up sketching a replacement that had extended flanges to better distribute the weight on the compartment floor.  Had it fabricated out of 3/16" thick aluminum and anodized at local shops. Lined the bottom with starboard and rubber sheet. Installed footman loops for battery straps. Made a thin starboard cover and used the original latches. Turned out very nice and much stronger than the original. 

IMG_20150526_121416_332.jpg

IMG_20150605_181214_287.jpg

Wow that is nice work wthree3.  Mine is below.  The white "floor" of the compartment is a lightweight piece of plastic so as you say the box that is hanging from it with heavy batteries seems to have no chance to hold up over time.

What year is yours?  The bottom of your compartment looks like its molded fiberglass?

IMG_5515.JPG

Mine is an 05. The original battery box looked like the same one in Palmetto's pic. The front compartment is the same plastic material as the battery box; it's not fiberglass. Just the battery box was cracking. The recessed lip or ledge that supported the old battery box was fine but I figured it was better to make wider flanges on the new box to distribute the weight over a larger area. I shimmed the recessed ledge up to be level with the compartment floor and the put a neoprene rubber sheet gasket under the aluminum box flanges to make sure I didn't put any point loads on compartment floor. Overkill I'm sure, but I use the open checkbook approach on this boat.

When you do the math, the loads on the bottom of the compartment are not all that high. A 100 lbs. of batteries supported by 25 square inches of flange area (of the original box) is only 4 pound per square inch. Not too bad.

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

Do you guys have supports under the battery box?  On my Hewes I have the same box but with stringer like support under it to hold the extra weight.

Been awhile since I had the battery box out on my boat, but I kinda remember a support underneath. I'm gonna take a look next chance I get.

I did not see where box was supported.  Looked like it could be on a cross member if you raised up that cross piece.  Maybe could mount something on top of it.  

Where is everyone's battery chargers, console?  Sounds like most put TM batts in front, run leads there from the console and then keep the house batt and charger in the console?

On 3/31/2017 at 9:29 PM, palmetto1 said:

I did not see where box was supported.  Looked like it could be on a cross member if you raised up that cross piece.  Maybe could mount something on top of it.  

Where is everyone's battery chargers, console?  Sounds like most put TM batts in front, run leads there from the console and then keep the house batt and charger in the console?

My TM batts are in the front hatch, along with the charger. My house/starting batt is in the console.

Since one of TM batts is wired to batt switch as the #2 batt. I can charge my house batt by putting switch in the both position. 

I have 3 batts onboard, 2 TM and one for starting/house. I have a 2 bank charger in the front hatch. One of the TM batts is connected to the #2 position on the switch, as a back up starting battery. If put the batt switch in both, the charger will charge the one TM and the starting batt. I don't do this often, but once in a while just to top of the one starting battery. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, hurricane said:

Haven't seen any issue with mine, wonder if they made some changes in the years. I would say fix it up, maybe a nice starboard floor and lid. Its a great place for the batts and it helps balance the weight. I will check on mine. 

They did make changes some time back, I can't remember the actual year but they changed from a "vac formed" tub to glass. My 2000 has "vac" formed ABS tubs so I think (not sure) that they changed to molded glass sometime between 03' and 06'.... 

Archived