Sign in to follow this  
FROZEN

Lithium Jump Starter Size

Gentlemen,

Now that I understand better my TM batt charging limitations from yesterday's posts, ( as always, awesome advice and explanations!), I started researching the lithium jump packs for carrying on my 08 2200TE. This will allow my SO to sleep better at night!

I have a Yamaha F250 small block. The F250 Yamaha battery specs from the manual are 512 CCA/675 MCA.

What size pack should I buy? Is 200/400 enough for the F250! 800/1000?

Any brand recommendations? Has anyone had to actually use on a marine engine? Any additional caveats?

Thanks for your input!

I carry the Nautic Sport 200/400 and has worked great on my Vmax 200. I have also used it to jump start my truck several times. I once jumped a truck off that a 350 diesel wouldn't. 

3 hours ago, Redrum said:

I use the Micro start XP 1...I've had to use it once to jump start boat  once.  I use it all the time to run my Engel bait box to carry shrimp.  I bought it from Wally world right after Christmas when they had the on sale for $99.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antigravity-Batteries-XP-1-Micro-Start-Jump-Starter-Power-Supply-Kit/48346214

OK, Miss Jazzy and you both bought 200/400 amp models. He's got a 200hp. What size motor do you have? 

I've been watching the posts on these "jumpers", but with all the recent news about lithium ion batteries catching fire, I wonder about the safety.  Is there a concern about one being stored aboard and spontaneously flaming up??

22 hours ago, Limitless said:

I've been watching the posts on these "jumpers", but with all the recent news about lithium ion batteries catching fire, I wonder about the safety.  Is there a concern about one being stored aboard and spontaneously flaming up??

I guess there would be some risk if you bought a Samsung branded one. o.O

• Like 1

If you use group 27 or 31 batteries and wire your boat like Hobo recommends you should not need a jumper system.  Just extra stuff to carry around.

These jumpers aren't much bigger than cell phones these days and the added security of knowing you have a backup battery at will is comforting. 

• Like 1

This just got discussed while back on this thread. Search function may find the others that came up while back too.

• Like 1

I use a PowerAll I got from NAPA. It's amazing. I have used it on boats, cars, trucks, 4-wheelers, even a stranded diesel. It'll charge cell phones, all kinds of stuff. It's small and powerful. It lives in a dry box when I am out in the boat. Just a little peace of mind. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:20 AM, Limitless said:

I work at a car dealership in Service/parts. Of the 13 of us 8 have the lithium battery packs and use them daily, including me. They have many different brands and only two of us have had a problem. The two that had the problem were over 4 years old, one being mine, and they replaced them both for free. From what we were told the first models did have a problem and have been corrected. From what I can tell none of the newer models have had a problem and I would not be afraid to buy another one.

As far as I know, none were Samsung! haha

Cobra JumPack...  360A, comes with all the attachments and has a built in flashlight and a 2.4A USB for phone accessories charging.  I've had mine for a couple of years and has charged and started almost everything I own (and friends stuff too!)including my diesel tractor.   Small and compact as well, I keep one on my Mav fulltime just in case!