My 83 Super Redfisher

83 redfisher

Oldsalt, if I'm not mistaken those were for livewell's or storage and it was added on, my brother is rebuilding one as we speak and I saw that it was through bolted to the transom and one is the livewell and it had about 20 hole drilled through the bottom and the other was storage ... :thumbup:

The boats with the bolted on live wells/storage compartment came that way from the factory. They were not added at the dealer or at a later date. If you notice, the rub rail and deck cap continue over the bolted on live wells/storage compartment. Why don't the live wells have the lapstrake on the sides is something that I have also wanted to know and never been able to find out.

I knew they were an OEM product, but I was wondering why they didn't continue the laps, but I would be difficult to marry the parts without notice. Much easier this way and I am guessing the cost of making a new master mold with the well and storage would be costly. I imagine the transom is stonger this way too.

my tunnel has no liner in the entire front half... an anchor hatch, and another hatch that lead into the area in front of the fuel tank.. my tank is in the front, just ahead of the bulkhead, which is also further forward than any of the other bay/redfisher...

i can see the molded in lappy strakes, and the rod tubes, fuel tank, etc...

my boat is a special animal, batteries in the console, one livewell, dry storage in the back, nothing else...and i'm sure all of this is to make the tunnel version more balanced, lighter, etc.

it works... :)

also, mine has sponsons that run back, just like the older hewes, molded in, with the 'strakes' running all the way back... it reminds me even more of the older models...

the first one of these boats i saw as a kid had the livewells out back.... with a bunch of holes in the bottom of the sponson, it was an excellent bait system at the time, from what i heard, and guys altered them all the time for whatever kind of bait...

i tell you this... i have a 14 year old boat that i would put up against ANYTHING made new today in a 'do it all' test...

when i was asking dad about buying my old boat, he said, "an old hewes is probably gonna better than a new anything else" he was right!

My boat is pretty much what you just described.

Batteries under a bench seat the forward area is what you described and so are the bait wells.

Does anyone know what the difference was between the super Redfisher and the other models back in 83 ?

They said that the hull weighed 750 lbs.

Any other specs would be great.

Thanks

Here is a link http://www.mbcforum.com/showtopic.php?tid/18825/ to the info I posted a while back. So it looks as though there were several ways that this hull was made. and many different color options too. I do not have the bait well in the aft of the boat, mine is center under where the seat is while driving. I have storage on the port side and battery on the starboard side. Gas tank up front. Very well made hull. Mine is a BONEFISHER so I guess there were several differences.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Where did you get those spray rails? I can't find them anywhere and I want them!

Thanks

My spray rails came on the boat when it was new. Some days I hate them (I still have a leak that I can't find, but am sure it is from a lose screw hole) other days they are great to help with not getting spray from a choppy day.

Archived