Check out this hewes 21

linesider 159

1 hour ago, Capt. Troy said:

Not really with a 300 HP motor. I don't get the concept of being elevated at the rear of the boat. Looks like a good way to increase static draft and maybe get your butt thrown out.:(

I guess what I meant was... Impressive for a fourstoke, no pad and a Solas. 😂

I've thought about this. I like the idea of the stand up console/half tower whatever but his is WAY too far back. Makes back deck basically unusable and obviously  affects squat. 

If it was built in rear of cockpit where you stood on rear deck it would be ideal. If you made it fold forward a little when not in use, even better....

its amazing how a lil bit of elevation changes what you can see. On my 1900 I stood on a cooler behind console when cobia fishing and def could see a lot better. 

4 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Not really with a 300 HP motor. I don't get the concept of being elevated at the rear of the boat. Looks like a good way to increase static draft and maybe get your butt thrown out.:(

Someone with a 300 hpdi on here said they got 69. Its not a padded hull so speed gains with more hp may not be incredible as you brought up (or at least thats my guess).

Have you driven a young gulfshore or similar boat that has elevation at rear? 2 friends have gulfshore 22's with the elevated rear and its pretty incredible how much you can see up there. Those boats are made to balance with that weight back there though so that does make a difference. Draft was 11 inches loaded.

I agree about getting thrown out though, not sure id want 68 mph being that open to the sides.

I still find it crazy that it says 72 on the yamaha bulletin for a 21 redfisher with 250 sho.

I think it is a good idea and done well but no way would that work for me, I am glad it does for him.  With the center of gravity pushed that far back it has to be squaty with an increase in draft like Capt.Troy said.  The livewell also looks like a pain to get to.

The numbers he has do look good but you have to keep in mind with the center of gravity pushed back the speed will increase. I can say that I have played with the cg on my 21and with cg towards the rear I can get pretty good numbers. The weight toward the rear did effect the ride and I can say that a v bottom boat pushing 70 is a handful to drive.

4 hours ago, justfish said:

I've thought about this. I like the idea of the stand up console/half tower whatever but his is WAY too far back. Makes back deck basically unusable and obviously  affects squat. 

If it was built in rear of cockpit where you stood on rear deck it would be ideal. If you made it fold forward a little when not in use, even better....

its amazing how a lil bit of elevation changes what you can see. On my 1900 I stood on a cooler behind console when cobia fishing and def could see a lot better. 

agree 100% and the splatter paint look cheapens the entire boat

14 hours ago, Tails Up said:

When new, mine ran 74.1 with the 225 vmax. Have not seen that in a while with the age, mine and the boats.  Not a boat builder but it seems the hull has a limit and more horsepower does not mean more speed. 

exactly, there is a limit to spd due to hull.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Not to be an old foggie...

But, Why would anyone want to run 60mph, standing on the stern of a boat that's running about 12" off the water at the gunnels at WOT?

I'm with Troy...that's a death trap....but, to each his own....

But, remember, I think 35mph in my MA 17 is fast :)

dc

agree 100%, think 35 in my 22 pathy is fast. getting old too lol. don't understand why run 60 in any boat, jmo.

I like it and think he did a great job. I've also fished the Young 22 Gulfshore a handful of times. The big open floor & front deck is nice. Especially if you're throwing a castnet or have 3-4 guys on the boat. It's just nice and open, no clutter or stepping around each other or the console.

I'm not a fan of the splatter paint, but i've found that folks in Texas & Louisiana seem to like it. If you're wading a lot or getting your boat dirty it makes it less noticeable on cleanup.

I had a 21 Redfisher for several years, absolutely loved the boat... but I did not like sitting down to drive. I'm 6'1 and my knees were above my keister on the seat. That makes for some terrible lower back pain when it's rough out. I've thought of getting another 21 RF or 21 MA and doing an elevated console or a standup leaning post at a minimum. 

The only downside I see to any of this is the fact the 21 RF sits tail heavy as it is... so adding a 300 is probably a bigger concern than moving the console back. When he's running on plane it's not going to make much of a difference, but static draft at rest is where I would be concerned. 

Thanks for sharing,

Josh B.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:04 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Not to be an old foggie...

But, Why would anyone want to run 60mph, standing on the stern of a boat that's running about 12" off the water at the gunnels at WOT?

I'm with Troy...that's a death trap....but, to each his own....

But, remember, I think 35mph in my MA 17 is fast :)

dc

I'm with you. Mid 30's is fast enough for me. Can't even imagine the results if you were ejected from the boat at the speeds mentioned.
Go slow and live to fish another day.

Archived