Bow Rod Holders

justdriftin

I've been wanting to add rod holder up on the bow of my 2400TE since I got her, but just never did for several reasons.  The first is, I'll admit it, I'm a little intimidated by this project.  But I'm really ready to get it done this year.  I fish up there 70% or more of the time so this is something I need to tackle.  I know others have done this and I'm trying to figure out the best approach.

I'm considering using 15 deg holders in the gunnel or 90 somewhere on the deck.  The gunnel is where I'd probably want them for convenience and they would be out of the way, the only concern is that rods would be sticking beyond the edge of the deck, and that could be problematic fishing around mangroves (though avoidable with a diligent anger, but I have kids).  

Best location from a convenience standpoint for a 90 deg holder would be right behind the front livewell.  This puts the holder actually in the front of the main forward hatch, probably not a big deal, but just a risk for water intrusion.  

Leaning towards the gunnels, so I be interested in tips on how to align those to make sure they fit and also to make sure i don't drill a hole through the side of my hull trying to install them.  Interested in any thoughts or alternatives I may be missing for flush mount rod holders (not interested in other types of holders up there).  Also, was going to go with the gemlux holders but open to suggestions there as well.

Thanks for your help.

When you refer to 90 degree holder I  assume that you  mean a 0 degree were the  rod is straight up  and down. I have 2 that are placed on the deck to the side of the large hatch. With the hatch open you will see the sides of the rod locker.  I would place them as far outboard as possible and stay in the main locker so not to interfere with storage. You can get fittigs that have a hose for drainage. In front  or behind the live well will probably interfere with opening them.

For angled holders just in front of the  gas fill is OK but after that  you need to be in front of or at the anchor locker. 

One of my favorite places is a 0deg at the back of the rod locker as so many have done 

I have zero degree flush rod holders at the end of the rod lockers plus another all the way forward in the anchor locker area, starboard side about even with the bow cleat. The TM is mounted on the port side so there is no interference. I all three every trip.

I use Atwood because I like their quality and sealing cap.

Good luck.

I used 2-0 degree in the front deck of my Pathfinder.  Bought from Gemlux when they were on sale for like 1/2 price.....316 stainless steel/ one piece and connected drain tubes so they would drain and run to bilge.  Works great.....thinking about adding a 3rd one for the wicked hot summer days here in Florida for the umbrella:)

I put 3 zero deg holders in a few years ago. Use them all. They are very handy when you need to put the rod down and dont want to lay it across the deck.  Put one at end of each rod box and one behind the bow cleat but in front of the anchor locker. 

IMG_1798.PNG

IMG_1797.PNG

Great tips guys.  Yes I meant 0 deg not 90.  Didn't think about one up in front of the anchor locker, but that makes a lot of sense if I can miss.  I think i'll play it safe and see if I can make the 0 deg work by the anchor locker and rod locker.  Rod lockers have speakers in them, but i think i can get a holder in there around it.  Thanks for the help as always. 

I put 3 zero deg holders in a few years ago. Use them all. They are very handy when you need to put the rod down and dont want to lay it across the deck.  Put one at end of each rod box and one behind the bow cleat but in front of the anchor locker. 

My rod lockers have speakers as well but the rod holders fit fine. I used Smith. 

I am following along. I have a 2200 TRS. I too feel i must add rod holders up front. I really prefer putting my rod in a holder as to laying it on the deck. I think anything forward of the fuel fill on the gunnels would not be very useful. i like the idea of 0 degree. I see some are putting the drink holder rod holder combo in the space there at the end of the rod locker box. I have not gotten the measurements on that but i thought i would investigate that option as well before i drill the deck.  I am also considering two on the stern. If i do not get the cup holder combo i will go all gem lux as well. If i do that i may replace the ones on the gunnels now so they will all match. 

changing the one on the sides leads me to another question. my gunnels are closed. Is there a mounting plate under the holders that are there now. Another question would be did they just screw them in or Is there one bolt and nut on there? 

On 3/17/2017 at 8:13 PM, HoneyB said:

I am following along. I have a 2200 TRS. I too feel i must add rod holders up front. I really prefer putting my rod in a holder as to laying it on the deck. I think anything forward of the fuel fill on the gunnels would not be very useful. i like the idea of 0 degree. I see some are putting the drink holder rod holder combo in the space there at the end of the rod locker box. I have not gotten the measurements on that but i thought i would investigate that option as well before i drill the deck.  I am also considering two on the stern. If i do not get the cup holder combo i will go all gem lux as well. If i do that i may replace the ones on the gunnels now so they will all match. 

changing the one on the sides leads me to another question. my gunnels are closed. Is there a mounting plate under the holders that are there now. Another question would be did they just screw them in or Is there one bolt and nut on there? 

The gunnel mounted holders on mine did not have any backing plates, but they do have drain lines that run into the bilge. I pulled mine out for access when i installed speakers on the bulkhead back by the leaning post.  I was able to reconnect the drain lines because I could get to it through the speaker hole.  Not sure you would be able to reconnect the line without some access, but you could probably just put a new one in if you had to.

I have cup holders mounted there now.  I called Mate Series, and they sent me out info on their rod/cup holders.  Their rod/cup holders actually require a smaller hole than my cup holders did, so no problem retrofitting their rod/cup holders.

Thanks for all the info.

I found these online that I will probably put in the front. Its a rod holder/ cleat combo. I actually lost "some" use of my front clean when the trolling motor is stowed, so a backup would be nice.

http://shop.acconmarine.com/products/124-6-cleat-rod-holder-combo.aspx

Then I will measure out the mate series cup/rod holders for the rod locker. mate Series website has a template that you can use to ensure it will fit.

http://mateseries.com/

New project for a windy day..

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to this project.  Really wanted to try to get them up in front of the livewell but not enough room, but like how they turned out.  Getting them located and symmetrical was the biggest issue.  It was hard to transfer location from under the deck to up top to make sure I had proper clearances but after I figured out where to put them was easy install.  I just tapped the fiberglass and did not thru bolt.  Not sure if I will go back and do that, but it really isn't taking any real stress so didn't see the need.  Below are pics of the project and how it turned out.

I did get the gemlux holders from FlounderPounder site linked above for i about $25 each plus shipping.

BowHolder1.jpg

BowHolder3.jpg

BowHolder2.jpg

BowHolder4.jpg

Archived