April Fishing Trip

Red Zone

On 3/13/2017 at 9:55 AM, Red Zone said:

I am going to be in Ft Myers area for a week in mid April I will be bringing the boat for some fishing. Can anyone help me with the area on fishing tips (what fish to target, areas to fish, tackle etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I fish down there quite a bit. Are you fishing inshore? Favorite species? The area is full of snook, trout, mangrove snapper, tarpon, and others. Captiva Pass is a great starting point. I'll tell you a few good areas if you ID what you're after. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't now anything about Ft. Meyers, but it can't be much different than other areas of the S/W coast. I'd net some minnows and run the beaches looking for Snook. If you see birds diving near the shore, that's where the Snook will be. Generally the wind will be out of the East in the morning, so the surf should be calm. Good luck, hope you have a great trip.

If you are trailering the boat, then I'd go out to Pine Island and put in somewhere there and fish the Pine Island Sound area.  It would not be much of a drive to Matlacha and you can fish north or south from there.  Water should be warming up pretty well if weather stays like this.  

The docks on Cayo Costa just north of Captiva Pass hold a lot of bait, mullet, and snook.  If you run from there toward Cabbage Key you'll see a nice grass flat to the west of the ICW. It's marked with bottles. Great trout spot, just motor around and look for pot holes. Also, the flats just outside Redfish Pass, toward Foster's Point, hold a lot of trout. If you get into the Gulf, run south from Captiva Pass along the shorebreak until you pass the island off the grass runway.  You'll see some trees that are in the shorebreak at high tide.  Great spot for snook and whitebait. Good Luck!  PS you can drift Captiva Pass on either tide movement with whitebait just off the bottom and load the boat. Just #2 circle hooks 24 inches of flourocarbon below a 2 ounce egg sinker and get ready. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well we had a great time in Ft Meyers we had to endure some choppy bays but all in all a great time fishing with my wife and son. We did most of our fishing in Pine Island sound were we caught a lot of trout. I sight fished the islands and the docks were we were able to get snook and reds. The bait was easy to get as we chummed up white bait and in 3 throws of the net we were able to get more than enough to get us thru the day. Hope to get back there soon to get some more time on the water there is a lot of fishing area to cover. 

Archived