New HPXV17 - Need opinions

Slewis

2 minutes ago, Slewis said:

That 5600RPM wasnt at WOT, I should have mentioned.

I haven't opened it all the way up because I think its cavitating.

Ok, that's sounding better.  The dealer should be able to work with Powertech to get it right.  My advice, use a prop without porting.

I've been going back and forth with them for the past couple days. I'm currently running a PTR3R18, and they're recommending dropping to a 17 or 16 pitch. With that said, everyone I've spoken with who owns an HPXV17, powered by the F115 is running a prop between 19-21 pitch.

I don't know a lot about the engineering side of what makes a prop work, but what is the ideal RPM range for that motor..  Mine tachs out at 6000 and if I'm loaded heavy I can't get there..  They used to do demo props, so if you went with what they are advising you wouldn't be out anything.. If you are gambling with your own money at several hundred a pop, I would go with what you know works(the prop from the boat your friend has)..

When it comes to props I do what I'm told by Marcus, right or wrong (never been wrong in my case) I've never owned more than one model at a time and have never done my own extensive testing besides jacking a friends Mercury Spitfire for a day (that's what he gets for leaving a boat in my garage) so I'm  definately no expert. I can tell you is that props vary sooooooo much model-to-model and brand-to-brand that unless your comparing the pitch on the same model prop you're spinning your wheels. 

For instance on my boat (HPX18/F115) a PTR4R18 runs comparable to a Mercury Spitfire X7 21. With all that being said I admit I could care less between 46 and 48 mph and care even less about fuel economy. 

I'm definitely no prop expert myself!

I think I may just pick up a Spitfire X7 19P (as that's what the guides boat was running at the time I was on it) and see what happens. My only concern would be performance difference based on him running a 4" jack plate vs me running no jack plate.

Thoughts on that one?

Thank you guys for your input.

2 hours ago, Slewis said:

I'm definitely no prop expert myself!

I think I may just pick up a Spitfire X7 19P (as that's what the guides boat was running at the time I was on it) and see what happens. My only concern would be performance difference based on him running a 4" jack plate vs me running no jack plate.

Thoughts on that one?

Thank you guys for your input.

It's no secret that the SpitFire X7 is my favorite all-around prop.  IMO, I think you would be impressed with the power and grip, as well as lift and top speed.  If you get one, be sure to get the premium grade Mercury Flo-Torq III hub kit # 835271Q09, for smoother shift dampening, instead of the standard grade Flo-Torq II hub kit.  As far as the "with or without a jack plate" question: Your boat was designed to run perfectly without a jack plate.  Try the prop first and see.  Adding a jack plate later is easy.  Just keep in mind - your boat will have even more stern squat when you hang that motor further back on a JP.  Good luck!

1 minute ago, geeviam said:

It's no secret that the SpitFire X7 is my favorite all-around prop.  IMO, I think you would be impressed with the power and grip, as well as lift and top speed.  If you get one, be sure to get the premium grade Mercury Flo-Torq III hub kit # 835271Q09, for smoother shift dampening, instead of the standard grade Flo-Torq II hub kit.  As far as the "with or without a jack plate" question: Your boat was designed to run perfectly without a jack plate.  Try the prop first and see.  Adding a jack plate later is easy.  Just keep in mind - your boat will have even more stern squat when you hang that motor further back on a JP.  Good luck!

I'm gonna do it! Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the advice/part numbers!

Interesting discussion. I run a merc rev 4 on my pathfinder TE with Jackplate. Ran Power Tech for years before that but we couldn't get the boat to run with 3 different Power Techs. Switched to Merc and it was a different boat. Boat runs as perfect as I can get it. Fast forward to our HPXS. When we bought it it had the wrong Power Tech prop mounted so we decided to try some mercs. Went thru 3 different ones and finally went back to a PT. This boat ran better with the Power Tech. Moral of the story is each boat is different depending how you rig it. Try as many as you can once the boat is totally tricked out before you make the final decision.

• 2 months later...

Archived