New HPXV17 - Need opinions

Slewis

I'm currently having my HPXV17 built, and am looking for input on a couple things:

1. Probably going with an Xi5 TM, but need to know which shaft length would be best, 12v or 24v, as well as battery placement. I'm hanging the 115 SHO on the back, so was thinking about going 24v and placing them in the front hatch to balance the weight a bit. Also went with the larger, 29gal fuel tank, but obviously don't need to run with a full tank everywhere.

2. Anyone have experience with propping this motor? The prop that was running on the boat I wet tested, was the Spitfire X7 19, which was pretty gnarly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I would never own a 12v TM again,, not for any reason what so ever,,,no matter what ...Ever.... You are going to need the extra weight of the 24 on the bow anyway.. I'm considering moving my staring battery up front so I can push it way up out of the way and get the use of my bow storage back by downsizing my TM batteries and moving them to the center console, but it's just a plan at this point.. I can't tell you how well it will work...  I also run a 19 pitch prop on my yami.. It's a power tech if you want someone to call, I've never herd anything but great reviews on their customer service..  Good luck 

3 hours ago, Slewis said:

I'm currently having my HPXV17 built, and am looking for input on a couple things:

1. Probably going with an Xi5 TM, but need to know which shaft length would be best, 12v or 24v, as well as battery placement. I'm hanging the 115 SHO on the back, so was thinking about going 24v and placing them in the front hatch to balance the weight a bit. Also went with the larger, 29gal fuel tank, but obviously don't need to run with a full tank everywhere.

2. Anyone have experience with propping this motor? The prop that was running on the boat I wet tested, was the Spitfire X7 19, which was pretty gnarly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I can't help with trolling motor advice - I am looking for the same info before I buy one too.

What I can tell you is that the VF115 SHO is an awesome motor - you made a good choice.  Your boat is about 450 pounds lighter than my RF16 so I can only estimate which prop pitch will be best for you.  The SHO has really good throttle response throughout the entire power band, from hole-shot to maximum RPM.  The SHO jumps up faster and has better grip with no prop venting (porting).  I'm running 6400 RPM WOT (light load) with a Mercury SpitFire X7 17P @ 49 mph, and 6400 RPM WOT (light load) with a Yamaha Talon SS 19P @ 52 mph.  With your lighter HPXV17 hull, I would guess that a SpitFire X7 19P or Yamaha Talon SS 20P (maybe even 22P) would work well for you.  Both props are outstanding, but the SpitFire X7 hole-shot (with solid vent plugs - ports blocked) is astounding.  Congratulations and good luck with your new boat!  Post some pics when you can!

G

• 1 month later...

I had a 24v on mine and had both Odyssey batteries in the center console and then moved them to the front storage compartment. After I did that i did not like the way it sat in the water and did not like how it rode. I felt it was too heavy up front. I liked it more when I had them in the console. Mine had the Yamaha F90 on the back.

The Motorguide I had on was a 52" shaft I believe. If your going to do some coast fishing make sure you select one long enough where you will not cavitate on the waves. 48" would be fine for calmer waters and flats but it would be bothersome trying to go down a beach shoreline and be blowing out continuously cause you can't get the motor down any further.  

Coto, can you give some specs on what all you have in your hpx weight wise, (how much gas, detachable TM, ect).  I have batteries pushed all the way to the nose of my HPX. if I detach the TM and want to pole and fly fish, I have to have almost 1/2 tank to keep from having hull slap..

Mine had a 26 gal tank. The Motorguide was detachable with the puck by I seldom removed it. The boat with the tank full, batteries up front, trolling motor and a person up front would dip in the front while sitting. I liked it better when the nose was a little bit higher as it was when I had the batteries in the console. I don't remember much hull slap with that boat the only lasting memory was that it was tippy. The reason I placed the batteries up front was because Capt. Benny Blanco had the center console floor of his then 17HPXV crack from the weight of all three batteries in there. What I should have done was leave them in there cause I know Benny fished that boat hard in those tournaments he would do therefore i doubt it would have done the same with me and my more laid back recreational fishing style.    

6 hours ago, wayne said:

Coto, can you give some specs on what all you have in your hpx weight wise, (how much gas, detachable TM, ect).  I have batteries pushed all the way to the nose of my HPX. if I detach the TM and want to pole and fly fish, I have to have almost 1/2 tank to keep from having hull slap..

I don't think there's a fix Wayne. My 18 slaps when my wife is on the front and me poling, it's just a poor design unless the the people on both ends are relatively the same weight, that's been my experience over the last 5 years with my 18 anyway. I've considered moving the cranking battery forward as well but getting the cables up front would be a nightmare. 

Actually there's one fix I thought of but don't really know the side effects of doing this. I've considered is having Bob at IMS fair the chine/spray rail thingy and smoothing the transition from the hull side and the lower part of the hull from the point of the bow to about 12"-18" back. 

I feel like I have a happy medium.  When I run full ( full gas, TM, cooler and two people) the boat is a little heavy in the bow.. most of the time I run half tank of gas with the TM, and I have the autopilot that half hangs over the front to make things worse weight wise. . It runs pretty good that way...  with the batteries all the way forward, I can run NO TM, half fuel, and no slap when poling...  if I take the batteries out our move them back, I have to keep the tank at 3/4 or more to keep the chine under in the bow. .. the boats like a rocket without all the weight up front, but you loose your stealth. ..

I would reach out to power tech props, they have a lot of experience with Maverick boats. I'm running a power tech 19 pitch 3 blade and hitting 6000 RPMs, I would think you would need similar or higher..  What specifically is it not doing?

Really nice looking rig!

You'll have to let us know how hot those cushions get in the blazing summer heat because they look sweet.

It's amazing how much higher a newer 17HPX sits in the water with an F70 on it. Do you notice any significant hull slap while poling with that 115SHO? The 17HPX with the F70 my friend had was dead silent and seemed perfectly balanced even though it was a slow poke.

Wayne,

Just not getting the top end i know its capable of. I'm able to get up to around 5600RPM @ 44mph. I think taking it up to a 19/20p may be beneficial, as you mentioned. The boat I wet tested with a 4blade Spitfire X7 19p was running about 50-52 WOT if I recall.

Thanks Conocean.

I haven't even had the chance to pole it yet, as im still looking for a Stiffy Guide 24 that's less than 4 hours from me. I may have to make the drive. Ill let you know how it does as soon as I get a chance.

54 minutes ago, Slewis said:

Wayne,

Just not getting the top end i know its capable of. I'm able to get up to around 5600RPM @ 44mph. I think taking it up to a 19/20p may be beneficial, as you mentioned. The boat I wet tested with a 4blade Spitfire X7 19p was running about 50-52 WOT if I recall.

Thanks Conocean.

I haven't even had the chance to pole it yet, as im still looking for a Stiffy Guide 24 that's less than 4 hours from me. I may have to make the drive. Ill let you know how it does as soon as I get a chance.

Slewis,

5600 rpm @ WOT with a 18P 3-blade is not right.  Your motor should be hitting the rev limiter with that prop if it is a "K" size prop.  Have your dealer diagnose the issue.

Archived