Ipilot ?s Link and Ulterra

palmetto1

Can someone explain what the Link does, other than link to a HBird which I do not have?

Also how about real world use of the Ulterra? I was excited to see lift assist then they come out with this.  I like the idea of raising the motor depth remotely when you are in the skinny water.

I-Pilot Link integrates a compatible Humminbird GPS/Sonar unit with the i-Pilot system on Minn Kota motors.

Instead of saving "Spotlock" locations on the I-Pilot and trying to remember where they are, you can tell the MInn Kota to auto-navigate directly to and hold on ANY waypoint in your Humminbird's memory that's within a 1/4 mile (I think it's 1/4) of your current location.  That is REALLY nice.

With a compatible Lakemaster or Autochart map installed in the Humminbird, you can indicate a specific depth contour or distance from a bank and have the Minn Kota auto-navigate that precise course so you can fish hands-free.  Without the Link, you have to record a specific route in the I-Pilot first before telling it to follow it back & forth.

The Link remote is larger than the standard I-Pilot remote, but there are compact versions of both remotes available with just basic controls you use most often.

So you have to go totally MInn Kota and Humminbird to utilize the system.  With all the newest generation tech coming out, there are some really good deals on last year's "Best" stuff, so it's not as expensive to get set up as it used to be.

The "Lift Assist" feature on the regular bluetooth I-pilots has advantages and disadvantages.  It does make it a little easier to deploy and stow, that's all.

I haven't run the Ulterra yet, but a lot of forum members do so I'm sure you'll get their thoughts..  I hear good things.

The deploy/stow function is a game changer, as they say!  I am getting into my senior years, and I love not having to touch the motor.  If I was 25 or 35, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.  But it is VERY nice to come off plane at a drop, hit the button, and start getting ready to fish while the motor is doing it's thing.  My .02 worth!

On 3/11/2017 at 7:47 AM, JEM said:

The deploy/stow function is a game changer, as they say!  I am getting into my senior years, and I love not having to touch the motor.  If I was 25 or 35, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal.  But it is VERY nice to come off plane at a drop, hit the button, and start getting ready to fish while the motor is doing it's thing.  My .02 worth!

I agree. I love the auto deploy and sto. And it's cool having total TM control from the pole platform on my RF. 

Archived