update full fishing load: SCD4R17PYM90 Prop Update - YAMAHA V115 2STK

Wanaflatsfish

Mods....I am posting here and in Maverick section as I've others in general ask about this prop.  Feel free to change or modify as appropriate.

WELL, MARCUS @ P T HIT ANOTHER HOME RUN !!!

REQUIREMENTS: shallow water hole shot, 1 - 1.5 boat lengths, ability trim it up 3/4 of the trim to cross shallow flats and not loose grip, mid range cruise in the low 30's.

He and I spent several emails and text'd and a call, discussing this over boat show weekend.  We went back and forth from the PTR and SCD.

Some forums say go with the PTR 16 Pitch and I"ve not seen many reports on the SCD's.

Marcus said, "give it a try and if it's not right - we'll make it right".

Just ran it on the MA 17 this morning....one word - WOW !!!

First hole shot nearly threw me from the boat..talk about make sure you are wearing the kill switch.

I should have known something was unique as I was idling to get into the Markham canal...just a touch on the throttle would fire the boat forward.

Results:

Holeshot - no tabs - 1 boat length and you are running 24 mph within two boat lenghts

Holeshot - full tabs - 3/4 to 1 boat length

Mid range - break your neck fast - from cruise of 25-29mph @ 32-37K rpm, when you punch it, it spins up to 52k in about 2 seconds or so, and it's WOT @ 40mph, a real jerker

WOT - Trimmed @ 5200 - 40.5 mph, light load, slightly trimmed.

ran it tabs full down with the motor trimmed 3/4 up and ran a 10 rooster tail....ran fine at about 19-22 mph with no overheating.

I found the MA needed just a bit of trim to keep it from proposing, but, I"m attributing to the fact it has the trolling motor on the bow...it needed only a touch to have it run dead on...

Right now, hard to find the need for change, so, I"ll be keeping it.

Well done Marcus...thank you again.

DC

they make great props. I had the SCD 17 on my 19 pathfinder with 115 2 stroke and loved it. Great bite...When I switched from 3 blade it made my boat go from feeling like a city bus to a sports car.  

But ...You might talk to him about only being able to hit 5200 WOT light. You wanna be at top end of recommended rpm range (5500) with a "normal load" (Don and all your stuff).   If you can only reach 5200 light, you are likely not gonna even be able to hit 5k with another person and gear.   Based on how I read your post, sounds like you need to drop an inch or likely two off the pitch.

7 hours ago, justfish said:

they make great props. I had the SCD 17 on my 19 pathfinder with 115 2 stroke and loved it. Great bite...When I switched from 3 blade it made my boat go from feeling like a city bus to a sports car.  

But ...You might talk to him about only being able to hit 5200 WOT light. You wanna be at top end of recommended rpm range (5500) with a "normal load" (Don and all your stuff).   If you can only reach 5200 light, you are likely not gonna even be able to hit 5k with another person and gear.   Based on how I read your post, sounds like you need to drop an inch or likely two off the pitch.

I agree here.  I'd run your results by Marcus. I would want more rpm and Mph when running light.  

All,

thanks for the comments..don't know if I'm going to go down one further pitch for a bit more top end.....

I very rarely run WOT..for my fishing and boating style in the backcountry I find 30-32 mph is fast enough to enjoy the ride, get to my spots faster than in the skinny mini T - 24-25 mph was it's top cruise speed, and have the reaction time to avoid something in the water...

dc

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

All,

thanks for the comments..don't know if I'm going to go down one further pitch for a bit more top end.....

I very rarely run WOT..for my fishing and boating style in the backcountry I find 30-32 mph is fast enough to enjoy the ride, get to my spots faster than in the skinny mini T - 24-25 mph was it's top cruise speed, and have the reaction time to avoid something in the water...

dc

Correct propping will make that cruise speed better. The issue with overpropping is you make the engine work much harder than it needs to, potentially wearing the power head out faster.  It's like 44" mud tires without gearing. That poor TBI 350 is gonna be awful tired.  Your numbers are close and one pitch down should get you dead on. 

1 hour ago, Lap it Up said:

Correct propping will make that cruise speed better. The issue with overpropping is you make the engine work much harder than it needs to, potentially wearing the power head out faster.  It's like 44" mud tires without gearing. That poor TBI 350 is gonna be awful tired.  Your numbers are close and one pitch down should get you dead on. 

This ^^^^ it's not just for top end, it will improve cruise and likely even holeshot cause it's easier to spin up.  That's an old motor that sounds like it's been grossly over propped its entire life...let it rip. These motors love to scream!

On 3/5/2017 at 8:40 AM, lurem said:

I agree with the others on dropping down in pitch.  Bring the RPMS up to 5600-5800 with a light load,it will be even more responsive and the engine up  the range where it likes to be run.

I just checked the operating range in the manual - it states 4500-5500 max rpms...@ 5200, I"m in the mid-range..

Ralph, you are running 5800 rpms?  I would think the Rev limiter would hit?

Anywayz, gona stick with this one for a while....

dc

xDWooooooHoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  I LOVE a happy ending, Dino!!!!!!!!!!   :D

Thank you VERRRRY much for bein' such an enthusiastic member of the PowerTech! family, D, AND for gettin' back with me on it...even with a text at 4:20 am!?!?!?! O.o DOH!!!   hehehehehhehee  xDxD  

As for the numbers, yeah, I wouldn't mind seein' a few more revs at WOT, but with it being a 2-stroke, I'm not all that stressed about it,...especially since we have such strong holeshot performance. If ya wanna get another 200-300 rpm, drop to a 16, D, otherwise, hang on to it and enjoy a bit more speed-per-rpm in the midrange.  I'm easy, either way.

Now, when it comes to porpoise, the semi-cleaver is m'go-to prop for porpoise control in most applications, due to its straight-up-the-leg sternlift.  Since bowlift is the enemy in most (but not all), porpoising applications, the sternlift of the SCD4 lifts the butt of the boat, forcing the bow to carry its own weight, thereby, alleviating, or even eliminating, the porpoise,...rather like throwin' your mother-in-law in the bow, but ya don't actually have to have her with ya.  ;)  That said, since it's a sternlifter with no real bowlifting component in its geometry, the SCD4 doesn't need, nor does it like, a great deal of trim. To illustrate,...stick with me, here,...imagine that you're in the water beside the boat, looking at it in profile.  If you can, further, imagine a great, big arrow, coming out of the cowling of the motor, pointing straight-up toward the sky, this is the beneficial sternlift generated by the prop, when the motor is trimmed under.  As the motor gets trimmed higher and higher, that great, big arrow begins to point more at the back of the driver's head, instead of straight toward the sky, thereby, reducing the amount of beneficial sternlift generated. This reduction in sternlift is not so much lifting the bow, as it is allowing the bow to rise, hence, allowing the porpoise to return. With that in mind, it make the SCD4 super-easy to drive, since all you have to do is bump the trim a few times and just drive the snot out of it. Easy-peasy.

I know. I know. Here I am, boring you with more dinner party propeller trivia than you ever wanted to know, but hey, my family got tired o' hearin' it, so you're stuck with me!!!  hehehehee  :D

THANK YOU, again, Dino, m'bruthah-from-anothah-muthah, and THANK YOU to EVERYBODY, who came to say, "hi", at the Miami show!!!!!!!  It was like Old Home Week!!!!!!!  :x

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|

42 minutes ago, Funky Monkey said:

xDWooooooHoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!  I LOVE a happy ending, Dino!!!!!!!!!!   :D

Thank you VERRRRY much for bein' such an enthusiastic member of the PowerTech! family, D, AND for gettin' back with me on it...even with a text at 4:20 am!?!?!?! O.o DOH!!!   hehehehehhehee  xDxD  

As for the numbers, yeah, I wouldn't mind seein' a few more revs at WOT, but with it being a 2-stroke, I'm not all that stressed about it,...especially since we have such strong holeshot performance. If ya wanna get another 200-300 rpm, drop to a 16, D, otherwise, hang on to it and enjoy a bit more speed-per-rpm in the midrange.  I'm easy, either way.

Now, when it comes to porpoise, the semi-cleaver is m'go-to prop for porpoise control in most applications, due to its straight-up-the-leg sternlift.  Since bowlift is the enemy in most (but not all), porpoising applications, the sternlift of the SCD4 lifts the butt of the boat, forcing the bow to carry its own weight, thereby, alleviating, or even eliminating, the porpoise,...rather like throwin' your mother-in-law in the bow, but ya don't actually have to have her with ya.  ;)  That said, since it's a sternlifter with no real bowlifting component in its geometry, the SCD4 doesn't need, nor does it like, a great deal of trim. To illustrate,...stick with me, here,...imagine that you're in the water beside the boat, looking at it in profile.  If you can, further, imagine a great, big arrow, coming out of the cowling of the motor, pointing straight-up toward the sky, this is the beneficial sternlift generated by the prop, when the motor is trimmed under.  As the motor gets trimmed higher and higher, that great, big arrow begins to point more at the back of the driver's head, instead of straight toward the sky, thereby, reducing the amount of beneficial sternlift generated. This reduction in sternlift is not so much lifting the bow, as it is allowing the bow to rise, hence, allowing the porpoise to return. With that in mind, it make the SCD4 super-easy to drive, since all you have to do is bump the trim a few times and just drive the snot out of it. Easy-peasy.

I know. I know. Here I am, boring you with more dinner party propeller trivia than you ever wanted to know, but hey, my family got tired o' hearin' it, so you're stuck with me!!!  hehehehee  :D

THANK YOU, again, Dino, m'bruthah-from-anothah-muthah, and THANK YOU to EVERYBODY, who came to say, "hi", at the Miami show!!!!!!!  It was like Old Home Week!!!!!!!  :x

Marcus

One Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|

Can you pm me a price for that prop. 1997 Hewes Bayfisher, 1997 Yamaha 115  premix fuel motor. I believe it's the same prop

"Foul temptress, thy name is Funky Monkey!!!!"  hehehehhehehee  You're makin' me laugh out loud, Which!!!!!!  hahahahhahahaahaxDxD

The SCD4 might just be the ticket for ya at that, as it has great grip in turns, especially for a prop with so little cupping. It has excellent shallow water characteristics, is very smooth handling, and still has a decent turn of speed for a four-blade.  

All that said, with so little cupping, the one thing that a semi-cleaver won't do it motor elevation, at least, it won't in stock form. Some folks who like the SCD with cup will wear the prop down from 13" in diameter to about 12.75" to blunt and widen the tip, then, have cupping added. The more broad, blunt tip created by the wear gives more cupped area than you'd have with the narrow, somewhat pointed stock tip, so it makes the cupping more effective. 

Funny, story,...some years ago, an SCD4 customer came to me with his story of his damaged prop. He didn't actually damage it in the water, he backed the boat and trailer into a fence post and the post bent only one of the blades, but bent it, inward, at a pretty good angle. Crazy thing is, it picked-up several mph across the range!?!?!?!?  O.o Who'd a thunk it???  

Well, I hate to do a post-by on you folks, but works waits for no man, nor woman, in Propeller Paradise.  Gotta go load the dock with today's props for m'UPS driver, Jerry! Gotta take care o' family, baby!!!!

Thank you, again, gang!!!!!!

Marcus

The Many-Hat-Wearing-Half of the Hydrodynamic Duo B|

• 3 months later...

Archived