Trolling Motor Plug

JnamJnam

I think I have about had it with the "Marinco" trolling motor deck plug. I am now on my 3rd set due to corrosion.  Also note: I unplug when not in use and spray frequently with corrosion cleaner. Going from a heavy 4guage wire into the tiny plug is also not convenient at all. 

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I still need the plug to be horizontal on the deck. Seems like the "battery tender" is the most praised product however it needs to be mounted vertical?

1 hour ago, bigsnook35 said:

You can't hide it off the deck?  No hatch close enough?  That would be the best option. And then go with the battery tender of course. The deck plugs always  corrode much faster due to being left in the elements. 

Boat is 18HPX. I dont want the wires going all the way across my front deck where people can trip on the cable. I troll 60% of the time and only pole about 40% of the time.

The battery tender plug is too big to put through the hole in my deck. :(

I am open to ideas.

My cord wraps around the TM nicely when stored. Here's a pic of my TM mount & the Powerwinch plug in front of it. I rarely use my TM but neither gets in the way when there's an angler on the fwd deck while I'm poling. It's a fairly small socket & plug.... 

IMG_2917.thumb.PNG.14868ae34e0153fad9a911f02d2f44f8.PNG

On my small alumacraft I bought from another guy he had my trolling motor hooked up with golf cart connectors. You can mount them flat on the deck and they are pretty small. It was hooked up to a 24v and worked perfect the whole year before I upgraded to my maverick. Might be worth a look 

I know this is contrary to what everyone else says but I stopped having trouble the the marine co connectors when I started filling the whole socket with super lube dialectic grease. Fill up the female side plug it in and clean up the excess. No problems on 2 Mavericks and 2 Pathfinders. We leave the TMs on the boats and they are on a lift all of the time so they are out in the weather.

The new to us HPXS was rigged by Ft Myers marine and the mounted a flat plate under the deck with straight studs mounted to it with wing nuts. Hull pass thru is kind of like an antenna wire connector. Works great and is pretty slick.

Good luck!

I hate the marine co plugs. I went through several that died from corrosion and heat issues and won't ever go that route again. I put a battery tender on my small boat this past time and haven't had an issue since. I know you said that won't work but I'd try every way possible because they're great plugs. My pathfinder has a marine co plug and it's only a matter of time before I replace it with a battery tender also. 

The Marinco plugs are the worst. I can't stand mine. Just spent the last hour disassembling mine, sprayed with corrosion X and used some dielectric grease. Have had to do it several times. Plus it's difficult to line it up to plug in.

Last weekend there was a large school of redfish that about 6 boats were fishing. I went to put the trolling motor in. No power.... Had to walk my boat in just so I didn't piss everyone off. 

Having that cord lay across the deck would drive me nuts! I've seen Marinco plugs that last a few months and I've seen others that last 10yrs. But I'd much rather have a major plug connection failure outside the hatch where my fuel tank is. Most HB boats do not have their TM plugs in the fwd hatch for that reason. Anyone ever have a Powerwinch plug fail? 

On 3/2/2017 at 4:06 PM, conocean said:

My cord wraps around the TM nicely when stored. Here's a pic of my TM mount & the Powerwinch plug in front of it. I rarely use my TM but neither gets in the way when there's an angler on the fwd deck while I'm poling. It's a fairly small socket & plug.... 

IMG_2917.thumb.PNG.14868ae34e0153fad9a911f02d2f44f8.PNG

Just bought the Powerwinch plug based on conocean's suggestion. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully the powerwinch plug holds up much longer then the Marineco garbage.

Does the HPX 18 have an anchor hatch in the bow?  My LT 20 has a anchor hatch that allows a wire to go in the bow line  opening to a built in pos/neg connection pins like "fly zone".  My wiring was too heavy to fit in the Marinco plug properly and kept pulling apart.

4 hours ago, JnamJnam said:

Just bought the Powerwinch plug based on conocean's suggestion. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully the powerwinch plug holds up much longer then the Marineco garbage.

Keep the female & male connections lubed with dialectric grease and you shouldn't have an issue.

Hello everyone one,

Does anyone know where I would be able to get a 4Guage to 12Guage adapter? When I first bought my bought my boat there were adapter plugs that went from the 4Guage down to the 12Guage so I could plug the 4Guage wires straight into the plug without stepping down in wire size. Those are now gone because of corrosion.

I have searched all the auto stores, hardware stores, napa, and even searched online. Please help!

1 hour ago, Headhunter said:

Larry,

What fitting is that and where did you get it?

thanks

It's a deck plate with a compression nut that has a rubber insert that squeezes around the wire when tightened. 

I ordered it w/ the boat from MBG it was shipped loose and the riggers at my dealer did the install. 

Archived