Cooler Recommendations

bobbyhernandez

92' 16 Bonefisher and looking for a cooler recommendation for the front of the console that will also serve as a seat. Any recommendations?

I see the newer ones come with a Engle 35. Seems a little small for a day out on the water. (I.e., 12 pack and food plus ice) 

I tried the search feature and couldn't find any similar posts.

Thanks. 

Both the RTICs and Engels work great, especially for one or two days.  Their real prowess is for longer term trips.  For "a day on the water" any basic cooler will work, you dont need the heavy, thick walled, roto-molded type.  Look at the igloos with snap on cushions.  A lot less $$, that you can use for tackle.  If you re camping or on a multi-day trip the Engel or RTIC is what you need.  The Engel in front of my console came with my 18' and I bought one the 30 qt. Engel cooler/dry box for $70 that fits in the bow hatch for food and drinks.

I just got a the RTIC 45 for 175 bucks compared to 350 or so for Yeti equivalent. They are essentially the same quality too.  For the price I think its hard to beat.  Plus I think they just lost a lawsuit against Yeti, so not sure how much longer you'll be able to get them. Im looking to replace the stock console on my 92 Redfisher without the front hatch/seat and put the RTIC lengthwise. I believe there are kits available that you can screw snap buttons into the side of the cooler to fit a cushion on top too that I plan to do.

• 2 months later...

I bought a rtic 45 and soft 30 back when they were 30% off ($208 for both shipped), talked myself into justifying the 45 for the reasons that it could be used as a seat and a casting platform, and it does both pretty well. The soft is absolutely perfect for long day trips.

The lawsuit with yeti, rtic has changed the outer design some, but all the main, and replaceable parts are still the same.

Used some Walmart igloo for years with my dad, they worked great for day trips, just not something I'd want my 240lbs to stand on, or sit on after a few years. They're 10-12 yrs old now, have no latches, on their 3rd? set of hinges, and are literally falling apart, but how much can you ask from a $35 cooler?

Archived