2200 TRS - New Last May

On 2/27/2017 at 8:22 PM, fishmanjj said:

Ron,  she looks amazing !   Those custom cushions on the bow look very nice and comfortable too. Great job, JJ

Thank you.  

Maverick now offers bow cushions as an option.  As I was going about deciding what to add to the boat on the initial order, I wanted to see what their cushions looked like - NO ONE COULD TELL ME OR SHOW ME A PHOTOGRAPH.  Not the dealer, nothing on the Forum.  I even spoke with Charlie Johnson at MBC.  I guess that cushions are not a high priority on a fishing boat but they sure are for Miss Laurie!  I had these made by Phil Hertzog at Hertzog Canvas (772 708 0898).  He did his usual fine job on them including access to the hatch latches while cushions are in place.

He also built the full length cover down to the waterline (with solar powered exhaust fan) which is one reason the boat looks so good.

IMG_2232.thumb.jpg.2a24df945ef598064e9afbf91b9b2654.jpg

1 hour ago, JEM said:

Just curious, but what is the red lipstick doing on top of the center console?💄

I'm going to guess, that is a protective cover over the VHF marine antenna base....he can't leave antenna up if cover is on boat. 

Have you ever seen a boat so clean ? Ron is truly amazing with the Zaino products. The person who bought his previous PF boat got a truly better than new PF. 

Ron: that cover to waterline is really nice and with a fan ?  Wow

54 minutes ago, fishmanjj said:

I'm going to guess, that is a protective cover over the VHF marine antenna base....he can't leave antenna up if cover is on boat. 

Have you ever seen a boat so clean ? Ron is truly amazing with the Zaino products. The person who bought his previous PF boat got a truly better than new PF. 

Ron: that cover to waterline is really nice and with a fan ?  Wow

That was a good guess!  That IS a protective cover for the VHF marine antenna base.  The folks at Linsey Marine set the boat up and the radio antenna is a skiff innovation that Kevin Lindsey likes.  A quick on and off for the antenna.  This way, we only put the antenna up when in the water and under way - not while towing or obviously under the cover.

The reason for the solar powered fan...the last boat had a blue cover as well.  Matches the boat color and doesn't show dirt like a white or light grey would.  The only problem, you guessed it, the dark color absorbs heat!  We hadn't noticed at first.  I tend to remove the cover early in the morning while it's still cool out.  One day, we decided to take the boat out in the early afternoon.  It was a Georgia hot day.  When I pulled the cover, the air inside almost singed my eyebrows off!  Reminded me of a hot air ballon.  It had always gotten very hot under there but we simply hadn't noticed it before since the cover always come off early in the day.  The new boat has the Chart Plotter built in and the thought of ELECTRONICS subject to so much heat sounded like a bad idea - hence the fan.  It still gets very warm under there but not as hot as before.

One other question for the Zaino king!  I notice the rear lifting eyes are on blocks.  Is that standard on the new boats, and if so, what is the reason?  To keep the hook away from the hull?  Fishman, have you got the answer for this one too?  Good guess on the lipstick! 

One other thing I noticed that I think I will add is the boatbuckle up front to hold the bow firmly down on the trailer while bouncing down the road.  Is it thru-bolted?  Why didn't I think of that???????

Well, that's more than one question.  Who was that detective on TV with the rumpled trench coat that always had, "just one more question" as he was walking out the door?

Good eye.  The rear lifting/towing eyes are indeed mounted on aluminum blocks.  Not standard, part of the "lifting" options.  The bow cleat is a lifting cleat as well, thru bolted to the keel with a turn buckle for good measure.  The rear eyes are on blocks to keep the lift STRAPS from contacting the SS rub rails!  The bow lifting cleat means you don't need to lift by the bow eye which would bring the lifting straps in contact with the hull (and could mess up the Zaino finish).

That is a boat buckle up front and yes, it's thru-bolted.  Make sure the winch post is at the right height before you drill that hole!  I used to use a heavy tie-down strap on the old boat...

Clean_Machine-1.thumb.jpg.711883f91255f6f52179dde7e3ef1dd8.jpg

...the boat buckle is just handier, it's always there.

Two other things of some note in this picture...

58b6e7b174708_LowResMissLaurieIV-6.thumb.jpg.addcf99f1c3c53b6d8ba336bf9d18f5a.jpg

...the Stoltz roller.  That orange roller is non-marking, will not mark up the bow.  And the Fulton F2,  3,200 lb capacity, 2-SPEED winch.  I hate to really "power load" the boat, i.e., use lots of throttle to get the boat up the last few inches to the roller.  That often blows lots of sand, etc. and "dredges" a hole at the end of the ramp. The low gear on this winch means that I can winch the boat up to the roller (gently) and with little effort, even on the ramp.  And, I think it's a cool looking winch :-). 

I keep a lifting strap in my boat to use when I put in at marinas that don't have a strap for the bow.  I don't like lifting the bow with just the winch hook going down one side of the bow, so I keep the strap in the boat.  I tried to have a bow lifting cleat installed with the SS threaded rod connected to the back side of the bow eye, but we just couldn't get it to work (the angle, etc. just would not work in my 2007 2200V).  So I just go with a strap through the bow eye.  The strap rests hard against the MK Ulterra base, but nothing I can do about it. 

The stock 'blue" bow roller on Ameratrail trailer.....is that not a non-marking roller????

No, the stock blue roller is not a non-marking roller.  I have 3 brand new blue ones sitting in the garage where I replaced them on day one with a Stoltz.

Good idea, bringing your own lifting strap.  I assume you thread it through the bow eye thereby doubling up the strap with 1/2 the load on each side.  Maybe carry a CLEAN carpet remnant to place between the strap and the hull?

Marina folks always get a little nervous about the lifting cleat.  They always ask if they can use it to lift the boat.  I always answer, "Sure. I Super Glued it in place this morning, ought to be dry by now."  Maybe that's why they are nervous.

Sounds like you need to advertise those bow rollers for sale in the misc classifieds down below, and pick up a few extra coins!  LOL.  I have seen some black marks on my bow, and I wondered about the blue roller.  Thanks for the info.  I will probably do the Stoltz change out. 

Yes, I thread the strap through the eye, but on one side, the MK base is outside the rail, so it bears the pressure of the strap.  I am not positive, but I don't think the strap makes contact with the hull anywhere, just the rub rail on the starboard and the MK base on the port.  Not good, but no other way to do it. 

Oh, and I ordered a SS boatbuckle for the bow tie down.  I have always used a pretty tie-down strap like you that I chunk in the back of the truck. Thanks for the picture!

Archived