Minn Kota Heading Sensor Puck

gamecocks2001

Mine's on the right front corner on the top of my console behind the windscreen for the time being.  They can go anywhere you can power them,  they're aligned with the keel, and there isn't nearby magnetic interference.  It's just an electronic compass.

JEM is right.  The windscreen or the console shell isn't enough material to block the bluetooth signal to the motor.

Bluetooth is just a low power RF radio wave, so interference would be caused by other RF generators like heavy live power lines, or blocked by conductive (metal) barriers, or extremely thick and dense material.  

The heading sensor light will flash every few seconds when it is communicating with the powered up trolling motor.  If you're unsure a mount location will allow communication, I would suggest pairing the sensor with the motor before mounting the sensor.  Once it's paired, you can try several locations and visually check for communication before actually mounting it.  You can unhook the sensor from power without losing the bluetooth pairing during the process.

I know you're going to love that motor !

My Ulterra is only about a year old. The only feature I'm not thrilled about is the spot lock. Seems to do ok if I'm working against a tide or wind but gets squirrely if it has to counter both. Also, when first engaged if I don't keep the boat pretty close to the spot as it searches for a signal it will go into a spot hunting mode that can be pretty dramatic. If I have someone on the bow I usually warn them to stand by as it does a "crazy Ivan " for about 30 seconds....

Will the puck work with my Ulterra or is this a new version altogether? Thanks

My understanding is that you can buy a kit from MK to upgrade your first generation.  If you don't want to trade out for the Bluetooth Ulterra (like I did), I think the upgrade would be well worth the cost, something like $500, I heard.   The new spot lock will hold you on a dime.....amazingly better than the first gen Ulterra.

Give MK Support a call to confirm this info.  I have not confirmed this to be true.  Just internet chatter.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:56 PM, OldestCityLocal said:

Didn't install the puck on my boat. They said" they have been having to much trouble with them." But after reading all the posts might have to install it. 

I think it helps but can't say for sure as I jumped up a generation and functionality w regard to spot lock has improve with each gen. Sure love that new gen though either way! Much quieter too.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:17 AM, triplec said:

I'm guessing that came from the folks over on Vilano...OR...at least thats where I heard the same but I haven't heard of any probs from anyone else and I did my own install with no issues. I think it helps but can't say for sure as I jumped up a generation and functionality w regard to spot lock has improve with each gen. Sure love that new gen though either way! Much quieter too.

When you consider how the new "Jog" function repositions the boat 5 feet ahead, back, left, or right, it HAS to know how the hull is oriented to move in the proper directions.  The hull orientation may not be aligned with the trolling motor when you are in a conflicting combination of wind, waves, and current.  The compass puck allows the jog function to work properly in those conditions by "seeing" what direction the boat is actually pointing towards.  Without it, the motor only knows what direction the motor is pointed.  The "jog" will work as advertised without the compass IF the boat is always aligned with the trolling motor, but that's not always the case.

Minn Kota claims it helps during other "navigation" functions, but I haven't wrapped my brain around that one yet.

It's no trouble to hook it up.  Hook it up.

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2017 at 4:52 PM, Grant said:

When you consider how the new "Jog" function repositions the boat 5 feet ahead, back, left, or right, it HAS to know how the hull is oriented to move in the proper directions.  The hull orientation may not be aligned with the trolling motor when you are in a conflicting combination of wind, waves, and current.  The compass puck allows the jog function to work properly in those conditions by "seeing" what direction the boat is actually pointing towards.  Without it, the motor only knows what direction the motor is pointed.  The "jog" will work as advertised without the compass IF the boat is always aligned with the trolling motor, but that's not always the case.

Minn Kota claims it helps during other "navigation" functions, but I haven't wrapped my brain around that one yet.

It's no trouble to hook it up.  Hook it up.

If you do not have the heading sensor installed, or paired with the motor head, the job soft keys do not even display on the remote.  The heading sensor must be installed and paired for the job function to work at all.

Hey qq  on this - about to pull the trigger on a new TM for my MA once she's finished:

A buddy of mine has the puck version on his boat, and he has the puck mounted very close to the TM - like 2-3 ft away at most.  You can see the puck in the left side of this pic. I notice when we're moving forward, the head of the TM constantly oscillates back and forth.    Is it possible that he has it mounted too close?   Anyone else get the constant head oscillations with this puck version?   Drives me nuts . . .

51408.jpeg