1992 BF Repower question and hydraulic Steering (updated)

bobbyhernandez

Still can not decide on what power option to use so I am asking the experts. 

I have a 1992 16' Bonefisher and currently have a "blown" 70 HP Evinrude. 

I have narrowed my picks due to my budget with the 90HP Etec or the 70HP Yamaha Four Stroke. Same price but 20 less horses.

I also want to go with hydraulic steering and read somewhere on this forum about a specific model that would not cause me to modify the transom. 

Thanks!

Bobby, to be honest with you I have no experience with yamaha but I think a 70 is lowest HP rating for that type of boat. My brother -in-law is a master mechanic for Bombardier and has rarily if ever seen a 90 etec come in for service other than standard 300 hour. It is a 3 cylinder unlike prior carburated 2 strokes that were 4. It is really a trade off, yamaha does not require an external oil tank but the etec does. Etec will give you better holeshot, more power and I know I will hear back from the Yamaha diehards, equal too if not better gas milage, but then again it is a 70 yamaha vs 90 etec. One thing we all agree on is nobody ever said they have too much power.

I have a side mount hydraulic steering setup on my redfisher, had it over 6 years and not a bit of problem. It is made by a company in Tampa I believe. That will keep your splash well clean for access and no mounting issue at all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, bobbyhernandez said:

Went out this weekend and these are the numbers. Waiting to hear back from the mechanic to see if It is prop'd right.

calm conditions/full tank/full cooler/2 adults

22 MPH @ 3800

36 MPH @ 5700 

Hole shot was unreal. 

From the specs, it looks like 5500 is the maximum recommended RPM.  The next size up in pitch would probably work well and get you a little more top speed.  Was the prop that you tested a 4-blade?  Was it ported?

Edit: I see the 4-blade in the photo

• 4 weeks later...

Archived