Trolling motor batteries location

Captron904

On 2/22/2017 at 4:58 PM, hurricane said:

Not sure why you wouldn't want AGM batts? Ya, they cost a bit more upfront but in the long run they pay for themselves. 

I'm sure putting the batts up front is doable, but that setup looks cool

Check the Duracells at Sams club

I'm with you....I feel for the hassles and capability to side mount....AGM's are 100% better.

dc

I'm not a battery expert by no means but for some reason AGM batteries seem to be shorter when comparing apples to apples. A group 24 lead-acid is like 9.5" tall, which ain't gonna fit (not in my fwd hatch anyway, I have 9" of vertical space)

Not sure why your trying to get away from AGMs but if it's the cost I get it, or I use to get it anyway. I don't use my trolling motor very much but I have a pair of Odyssey group 34's up front that are 12 years old. These batteries are from buddy of mine who used them for 2 years on the BASS circuit and then they sat in his garage for like 5 years starting various tractors, running golf carts, etc... I've had them for 5 years and I just used them pretty hard of the beach yesterday.

I've never heard of a lead-acid battery that could perform like that.

On the my new to me 2012 18-HPX the two trolling motor (AMG) batteries are under the small center console with charger and my cranking batt is in the front hatch in front of the 40 gal gas tank! With the bigger than normal gas tank and single cranking battery there is very little room up front :( but I have all my PFD's, throw cushion, and dock lines in there!     

21 hours ago, Bonecracker said:

On the my new to me 2012 18-HPX the two trolling motor (AMG) batteries are under the small center console with charger and my cranking batt is in the front hatch in front of the 40 gal gas tank! With the bigger than normal gas tank and single cranking battery there is very little room up front :( but I have all my PFD's, throw cushion, and dock lines in there!     

40gallon tank?!? Mine is marked as 35 but it only holds 33. Didnt know anything larger would fit in fwd hatch. 

1 hour ago, conocean said:

40gallon tank?!? Mine is marked as 35 but it only holds 33. Didnt know anything larger would fit in fwd hatch. 

I may be wrong but the previous owner stated to me that he had the larger gas tank (40gal) installed for the Keys so he did not have to fill up but once while there. To be honest with you the gas tank was almost full when I got the skiff and have never had to fill it up. I could be wrong!  

I currently have my Trolling motor batteries installed in the front hatch of my 2016 18 with the Cranking battery in the console. While the boat floats much more level I am getting stress cracks where the hatch platform mets the hull. This is with two group 27 Interstates. I am switching to a couple of Relion 50AH batteries so that they will fit in the console with the Cranking battery to keep any more serious damage from occurring. This will also allow me to get back the entire storage in the bow compartment.

Marsh- I know the cracks you speak of on the shelf in the fwd hatch and they are 99% most likely just cosmetic in nature and the hull is not being compromised. You will notice a difference how your boat squats while at rest and how it poles when you remove the batteries out of the fwd hatch then put them in your console. Been there, done that!

8 minutes ago, conocean said:

Marsh- I know the cracks you speak of on the shelf in the fwd hatch and they are 99% most likely just cosmetic in nature and the hull is not being compromised. You will notice a difference how your boat squats while at rest and how it poles when you remove the batteries out of the fwd hatch then put them in your console. Been there, done that!

Absolutely I will. When I first bought my boat the TM batts were in the console with the Cranking batt up front. It flats much flatter now. However, I use a Yeti 50 as a front seat rather then the factory cooler and can move that behind the casting platform to help balance if needed. I am on the TM much, much more than poling.

I tried it before with the batteries in the console and the spray rail is still in the water with my boat with the F150. Your F90 sits much higher out of the water than my boat. Also, I'm not moving two Grp27s to the console. The replacements will only be 30# total. I'm going Lithium Ion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 10:21 AM, conocean said:

Good point! I'd like to see a pic of your boat while at rest with those new batteries in the console. Just curious if it will squat like the old RF's.

Here is a pic of how it sits now. This is just launched for a bass trip so there's a decent amount of tackle in the rear hatches. Two Grp 27s in the front hatch and one Grp 27 in the console. It sits with the chine just touching the water in the bow and the style line just touching the water in the transom. 

I know a question about the bow GPs will come up so here is the details. I had a plate water jetted that fits between the TM and the QR mount that has a small tab to bolt a large RAM ball to. The power comes from the 3rd connector of the Marinco plug that runs to one of the TM batteries. I have a Yandina Trollbridge so my batteries see 12v no matter what. This also allows me to charge my TM batts from the truck with a harness I made. Cool setup that really makes sense for bass fishing but I find myself using a lot on the map screen while red fishing too.

IMG_3474-L.jpg

Archived