Mirage II 1997

mirage297

Hi,

I am in need of some info on my 97 Mirage II. I have owned her since 1998. I would like to do some maintenance, minor repairs and updates. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wiring harness diagram and layout for the fuse box, locations of the wiring chases, name and mixing code for the gelcoat color - see photo for reference.

Also I'm wanting to upgrade lighting with LED fixtures.

It would be great to share info with others who have this or are familiar with this model and year.

Thanks,

JWhite

P1030679-sm.JPG

Hello,

I have a little wiring issue. I appreciate any help from anyone with knowledge of the Mirage 2 wiring harness. My port side under gunnel cockpit light has lost connection on the positive + wire. The port side negative is ok. The starboard side is good + & - . I would like to know if the branch after the switch for the port and starboard side cockpit lights is inside the console and accessible? Also what is the best way to get to and work on these connections without being the size of a munchkin ; ).

The wires going to these cockpit puck lights seem to be fixed in place and not loose or able to be pulled out and replaced. It is my hope that if I can locate and get to the branch, then resolve the short. Otherwise, I think my only choice is to run a new blue + lead around the rear of the cockpit to the starboard side wire for a positive + connection.

I am replacing the old puck lights with new LED lights. Do these lower voltage lights need anything to reduce the amps going to the lights? Does the circuit need a smaller fuse or resistor? And if so, what?

Does anyone have any helpful input?

Thanks,

mirage297

You won't have any issues with amperage and the new LED lights.  As for the lost of power to one side,  I would check the switch. There should be a power lead for each light coming out of the switch. Perhaps there is a issue with the connection for that side or could be a bad switch.  Try swapping the two + wires on the switch terminals. That should help define the location of the problem.

I just went through all of that on my boat... LEDs don't require any special considerations, you can just swap out the fixtures... Everything you need should be under the console, there's no easy way to get to it... After a couple hours of playing with mine I realized it was going to be a bigger project than I had planned for (as they always do).. I pulled the steering wheel and the switch panel completely out and cut all the ties grouping the wiring together.. This allowed me to sit upright like a human and go through some things.. This is a guess and just a guess, mine had stackable connects (added a picture, I had never seen these before) when there were several items run off of one switch.. My running lights looked like Christmas lights, sometimes on, sometimes off and/or flashing.. It turned out to be a corrosion issue.. I cleaned and replaced some connections and lights , problem solved..  If you go to the manufactures web-site and pull part #s on what you want, Google can find you great deals and usually free shipping on anything you may need...

stackable-push-on-connector.jpg.6cc5fd86e4bd6d17223c3eb29a155236.jpg

Thanks much for your quick replies. Looking at things last night, I thought removing the switch panel at minimum would help. It looks like there's a bead of silicone to loosen. I didn't think the Lf & Rt branch would be right at the switch and of course you cant see that from below. Thanks to both of you for your input. It seems - nothing is ever "easy" ; ) but I feel better having some knowledge where to look.

Ok - update, so I found my wiring issue.

I removed the switch panel - did notice some corrosion but leads to switch have contact and continuity but still no connection between blue lead at switch and port light location even though right side works. There's only one outgoing blue lead from switch so I followed the lead down to the chase and rubber boot at deck level, pulled on the duplex blue/black wire and out comes the wire with both butt connectors unsealed and  corroded and disconnected. Temporary panic - With only enough room for two fingers I dug down and found 2 sets of blue/black duplex and both have continuity so now its just a matter of replacing connectors and lights properly with proper sealed connections. I doesnt make sense that this branch was placed under the deck level and installed with unsealed connectors. I think I will try to move that branch connection farther up in the console - And take time to clean up all the switch panel connections and coat everything with corrosionX or Balistol.

Thanks all for your help and on to the next project.

Archived