18' Flats Boat Maverick or Hewes

FlatsBRG

I am  looking for an 18' Flats Boat. Based on price and differences in  boat year models , I will buy a year model between 2000 - 2009.

I have two adult sons that fish with me regularly  on my 22 foot bay boat and I think the 18' Flats boat would be large enough for 3 people and also small enough to more easily  go to some of the inshore places we fish. Steinhatchee Florida. Gras Flats &Creeks , Mobile Bay Alabama , Perdido Bay Alabama Recently two trips to the Florida Keys fishing the back country on an 18' Dolphin Backcountry. The Guided Keys trip is what sold me on a flats boat. I could never have done some of the fishing we did on the Flats Boat in my Bay Boat.

The two boats that I like best are Maverick Master Angler 18 and the Hewes Redfish 18 with a Yamaha Four stroke F150 on it. I have that motor now and it has served me well for 10 years and 1400 hours. I will most defiantly get the 150. Does that motor perform better on one boat or the other? The Maverick MAX HP is 175 and the Hewes MAX HP is 150.

When it comes to ride the Maverick MA will be better in my opinion.  I have a 18.5 MA and it will eat up a chop and keep you dry as a bone.  The Hewes is a great boat and will likely be a mph faster, but if you are looking at 4-strokesI don't think speed is your concern.  As for being a dry boat the MA wins again.  Just my $0.02 but don't think you could go wrong with either.

Skinnier water goes to the Hewes though. Pick what you prefer. Speed and skinny I'd go hewes. Ride and dry I guess (never ridden in one) the MA seems to get the nod from the majority. I don't find my hewes 18 wet however. The days I got wet, Id bet the MA owners would have too; heavy crosswind in choppy ICW. I do admit to having to be more throttle conscious rolling over chop as it can bounce pretty heavy instead of slice through (like a deeper V would). I don't think either would disappoint you; I wouldn't trade my Hewes for anything, as I'm sure many MA owners would say the same.

No question they are both great boats.  Redfishers are more plentiful since the MA was discontinued in 07, and the fact that there are limited numbers, the MAs tend to run a little higher.  I would really recommend getting a ride on both, chances are you won't see enough difference to care if all else is equal.  It may just come down to price and what shows up first.  

I am a diehard MA guy, but I have never been on a redfisher.  I do think the beam is different on the two boats but could be wrong.  My MA has an 8' beam.  Maybe someone with a redfisher can chime in with theirs.  Wide beam does make fishing thtee a little easier if LOA is the same.

Both great boats.  Gonna be much easier to find a redfisher over a MA esp if you want one with the F150.  The Mavs are super popular, ones with four strokes even more so...

Just curious what kinda fishing you doing in a 18' flats boat that you couldn't in a 22' bay boat? Where I live it's def a lil easier to turn around in some of the tight creeks, but other than that if I fished 3 adults consistently I'd pick a 22' bay boat any day of over a 18' flats boat just for extra room. Especially if throwing lures all day.  

For 3 people I'd go with a 20fter.  I have a 20ft LT Hewes with a 150 and it is just barely comfortable if all three people are fishing. All Hewes are a bit harsh if there is a good chop in my experience.  I have a 15ft mav that rides really great so I would guess the 18 ft MA would be a good performer in a chop.  They are both good boats.

My Hewes LT18 is the hull that became the Redfisher in 2001 or so. It's a comfortable boat with 3 anglers, or even 4 if everybody knows how to fish. Great in skinny water, and in the chop you just have to use your trim tabs to keep the spray down. It's a very functional boat. All things considered, I am not sure I could find one that suits me better. Easy to trailer, fast, comfy, and so on and so forth. Good luck!

Either one will do just fine, each one has it's good and bad.

Finding an MA with four storke will be hard, and you better act fast and have cash if you do. Redfishers come up more often, I would lean that way if you're not stuck on one over the other. 

Something to consider for those long hauls, would be a dual axle trailer. Not too common on 18' boats, but makes long road trips much safer.

On 2/12/2017 at 9:51 AM, FLDXT said:

I second the dual axle trailer, it's nice not having to break a jack out when changing tires. If I ever replace Mmy trailer for my 17ma, I will put a dual axle Rolls under it.

Def makes for some extra piece of mind for long hauls. Just keep in mind it doesn't maneuver as well, especially off the truck - you can't just roll it in a corner with the jack like a single axel... Just keep that in mind since your putting into a garage 

Archived