Poling HPX-18??

Bonecracker

I find my 18HPX easier to pole than the 16Bonefisher, 16 or 18Redfisher, 17 or 18Master Angler, 17HPX & HB Marquesa.

However, in my experience, it's not as easy to pole as an HPX-T, 17T Pathy, 17Dolphin Super Skiff, HB Pro or 18Waterman.

I bought mine then rigged it with the bigger tank and smaller motor to suit my fishing style/needs 75-80% of the time. It rides decent, not real tippy, plenty of storage, stellar livewell design and it's easy/stealthy enough to pole in as little as 8" of water.

Difficult question because everyone has their own opinion of how a boat should pole. What are we comparing it to?

In my opinion the 18HPX is very easy to pole. I can pole a full day without falling off the platform from exhaustion. One push on the side and you will spin almost a full 90 degree's. Boat will still glide for a couple feet after each push.

I'm 68 years old and find my 18hpx easy to pole. It's the only boat I've had so can't compare it to anything else. I should let you know that I'm in good physical shape and run 2 miles a day however I think someone who may not be in shape can still push it fairly easily.

IMO, it has more to do with where you are poling!!  If you are in the keys trying to pole against a current on top of a coal bottom or in really deep mud (flamingo) you notice every extra # in a poling skiff... If you live somewhere that has a sand bottom or any bottom with good traction and you don't have to fight current, it doesn't really matter..  

Archived