Need a good reel to

rubble

go with a GL NRX 9' 8#.  Purchased the rod a few years ago to target snook and reds in the glades. 

Looking for a decent reel. Dont have a price in mind but would like a budget minded reel as I'm just a beginner. 

Also need some recommendations for line with this setup. 

Something like a Lamson Guru in a 3.5 size is inexpensive and still has a decent drag, very light too. If you want high end Nautilus is hard to beat. I have 5 Lamson Velocity's, two 3.5's, two 2's and one 4. Also have Abels and Nautilus NV's. But bang for your buck just starting out, a Guru is a good reel.

The rod you have is a high end rod, a Nautilus CCF-X2 or NV would be a killer set up.

On 2/8/2017 at 2:56 PM, NCTribute said:

Something like a Lamson Guru in a 3.5 size is inexpensive and still has a decent drag, very light too. If you want high end Nautilus is hard to beat. I have 5 Lamson Velocity's, two 3.5's, two 2's and one 4. Also have Abels and Nautilus NV's. But bang for your buck just starting out, a Guru is a good reel.

The rod you have is a high end rod, a Nautilus CCF-X2 or NV would be a killer set up.

I have a Danielsson on a Native Run Quinault that I purchased to use in AK.  Could not cast it worth a dime.  I'm sure it wasn't the reel at all.  It was a really nice reel at the time. I think it may have been the line.  One of the guides had a Loop setup that a Rep gave him to try out and it was awesome but I don't remember any of the specs.   Wondering how key the line is?  What would be best for casting in the ENP or in average fishing conditions (not short casts in cold water and weather in AK)?  I'd like to get a high end reel like the Nautilus but just afraid I wouldn't get my money's worth as little as I fish with the long stick.

You might want to look at the Orvis Hydros IV or V large arbor. I think a very good reel for the price, about $225 as I remember. They have much improved the drag compared to the older models. The Nautilus setup mentioned above is a killer setup but the reel will run you about $550 as I recall.

Went through the same delimma when I first started with Orvis reels. Wish I had gone for Nautilus and be done with. Now have Nautilus reels and a cabinet full of others.

I have Nautilus and Tibor. Both were expensive but worth it. However, I have had the Orvis Access on a 7wt  for about 5 years now. I use it in the salt primarily. Just give it a good fresh water rinse after every use. Believe they are on sale now, Orvis  may be coming out with a new model. Less than 200.00. Good warranty with it too. Google it.

On 2/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, rubble said:

I have a Danielsson on a Native Run Quinault that I purchased to use in AK.  Could not cast it worth a dime.  I'm sure it wasn't the reel at all.  It was a really nice reel at the time. I think it may have been the line.  One of the guides had a Loop setup that a Rep gave him to try out and it was awesome but I don't remember any of the specs.   Wondering how key the line is?  What would be best for casting in the ENP or in average fishing conditions (not short casts in cold water and weather in AK)?  I'd like to get a high end reel like the Nautilus but just afraid I wouldn't get my money's worth as little as I fish with the long stick.

Most any bonefish or redfish line should work well. Wulff and Scientific Angler lines seem to be the most trouble free for me, RIO lines cast well at first but for whatever reason are more prone to tangle and get 'sticky' with use, at least for me. Plan on spending upwards of ~$75 for a good quality line.

Good read on rods, line and reels, somewhat limited on lines and reels, but at least what worked for them.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2016-8-weight-shootout-best-saltwater-fly-rods-fly-rod-review-scott-meridian-g-loomis-nrx-sage-motive-st-croix-legend-elite-fenwick-aetos-orvis-recon-tfo-bvk-tfo-impact-echo-base-beaulah-opal-winston-biii-plus-mystic-reaper

many years if you keep it clean.  I fly fish nearly 10 times a month and get years out of my lines.  I would avoid a lot of the coatings and cleaners as well.  best way to clean is in a bucket of mildly soapy water for 10 minutes or so through a microfiber cloth into a bucket of clean water and dry onto real or storage spool. 

On 2/11/2017 at 0:07 PM, Donh said:

You might want to look at the Orvis Hydros IV or V large arbor. I think a very good reel for the price, about $225 as I remember. They have much improved the drag compared to the older models. The Nautilus setup mentioned above is a killer setup but the reel will run you about $550 as I recall.

Went through the same delimma when I first started with Orvis reels. Wish I had gone for Nautilus and be done with. Now have Nautilus reels and a cabinet full of others.

After looking around at the reels mentioned here, I'm wondering what makes the Nautilus a much better reel than the Orvis(Lamson or other)?  I too run into the same situations often where I know I'd be better off fighting the bullet on the front end.  That is what I did with the high-end rods.  Just felt like if I spent half the price for something to get by, I'd wish I had purchased the better Rod and would be stuck with a rod that I couldn't get rid of.  May be the same thing with the reel.  Is there enough value added components to the Nautilus to justify purchasing over a mid-line reel?  As mentioned above, in some cases, the reel is just a glorified line holder.

If you are catching fish that will run against the drag, then a higher quality reel will perform better and last longer. Some of the cost is in machined versus cast components, tolerances, higher strength materials, higher quality bearings, the drag system and the coatings on the components. Do you need a $500 reel, no. 

Really depends on how you use them. I have several mid priced rods and reels that go in the boat all the time, I know they will get banged up over time. Then I have some high end rods and reels that are for either challenging fish or for when I am traveling and want very reliable gear.

Like I said earlier, getting a mid priced reel with a decent drag is fine to start. If you get into the sport, you will likely want/need a backup or additional set ups, which the mid priced reel will serve well for. If you end up only occasionally using the fly rod, then you still have a good set up. Going with a high end reel is not a bad decision, but if you do not use it much, then it is a lot of money collecting dust.

• 6 months later...

Think you will find no one discounts Nautilus. Best bet to save a little is to find free shipping or no sales tax . Ole Florida on Boca Raton had free shipping on the US..

Look carefully when you pick your Nautilus. The CCF-X2 depending on basic real size can hold multiple spool sizes which is nice, 6-8 or 8-10. Of course the 8-10 is larger and a little heavier.

Archived