HPX-V 18 Dry Launch

Marshfly

So, my boat dry launched fine when I used the Liquid Rollers spray. The only problem was that I had to spray it on every couple of launches to get it to work. It would last months with my last lighter skiff. So I decided to give the canning wax a go since it sounded like it would last longer.

Well, I put a ton of wax on the bunks, have let it sit in the sun, and it's like glue. The boat won't slide at all. Even picking the bow up and wiggling it side to side it still won't slide off. Is this normal? What are you guys using to slick up the bunks?

I was told to be very carefull with anything like WD even thought it's silicone....remember, the fiberglass is going to be sitting on the bunks for weeks on the rug and could damage the gelcoat.

I use liquid rollers as it's specially for this application..some people have use PAM spray oil......again, more natural.

dc

The carpet on my 2016 Ameratrail bunks is wearing thin in spots too.  The silicone spray made them really slick and helped.  However, I have also added Stoltz keel rollers (pic attached).  Before, it seemed like a lot of weight was concentrated on just two bunks.  It's supported better now, when bouncing down the road, and it slips off the trailer even more easily at the ramp.  I'll try the liquid rollers - sounds like good stuff.

Rollers.jpg

I agree - the weight must be distributed as evenly as possible.  I used a floor jack to hold the rollers with only slight pressure against the hull without lifting the hull from resting on the bunks.  I used lock washers with external teeth against the roller plate so they won't move.  The keel has the thickest layers of overlapped glass mat.  I like the extra support there.

toothed_lock_washer.png

56 minutes ago, geeviam said:

attached are the MSDS sheets on both products.  I'm surprised how toxic to fish, the Liquid Rollers product is, plus all the other warnings.  Compared to that, the WD-40 is relatively safe for fish and people.

Liquid roller is to be dry before you hit the water.  MSDS is  the as delivered product. 

Marsh, I surprised you are having this problem.. After I used  silicone on my bunks I had a hard time keeping the boat on the trailer when trying to leave..  What are you towing with/ how high is your hitch?  I wouldn't think the 18 would be that different than the 17!

3 minutes ago, wayne said:

Marsh, I surprised you are having this problem.. After I used  silicone on my bunks I had a hard time keeping the boat on the trailer when trying to leave..  What are you towing with/ how high is your hitch?  I wouldn't think the 18 would be that different than the 17!

Towing with a Ram 3500, so the trailer is definitely angled stern down. I actually went to a hitch with less drop to give a more aggressive stern drop to the trailer to help. I'm as frustrated as you are surprised. I'm about ready to pull the carpet off, replace with new, and start over. That, or abandon the dry launch, which I really don't want to do. 

Its also important to remember that slick bunks are only part of the equation. Is the trailer designed to be a dry launch trailer? Zero degree torsion axles, bunks built on an angle sloping  back, and a roller BEHIND the rear cross member. I'm not sure of the latest model years but in the past not all Ameratrails under HPXs were, not sure what you actually have. Any skiff with slick bunks can be dry launched on a steep ramp at lower tides, but unless the trailer is specifically designed for it, it's tough sometimes. I wouldn't sweat it too much, while I'm an advocate of dry launching, many folks think it's silly. People have been dunking trailers for years and doing just fine.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but as far as the liquid rollers make sure you spray it on dry bunks after you launch the boat, that way it has the chance to dry during the day while you're fishing.

Dry launching is nice but it's more work. I can dunk and launch in half the time. I had a dry launch set-up on my 17MA for 2 years then I went back to dunking. If you check your hubs regularly, like you should anyways, it's no big deal assuming you don't have fancy trailer rims that get ruined from salt water. The angle of your hitch is important when dry launching as wayne mentioned above.

If you do have fancy-pants wheels (as I do... and no, powder coating won't save them from corroding) and want to continue to dry launch get a new winch. I bought an old school Dutton Lainson 1800lb. 2 speed winch and my wife can crank the boat up the trailer with ease. She doesn't, but she could if needed. 

Archived