2011 OT and beyond name

Is there anyone who might be interested in petitioning the "powers that be" to change the name of the annual September owners' tournament to the "Maverick Hewes Pathfinder Cobia (or just Maverick Boat Company) LittleJohn Memorial Cl***ic"??

For those who are fairly new and do not know: LittleJohn was a dear friend and unswerving supporter of our forum, events, and members, who lost his life in a scuba diving accident several years ago. I had the honor of being his friend, and anyone who was a friend will testify that you could find none finer than him. My favorite memory of him was at the last Ft. Pierce event we had which was run by the members as Skip and the company were barely keeping their heads above water with the publicity demands on the company during that time. LittleJohn was almost giggling as he sat in the middle of the gr*** and handed out boatloads of prizes to the kids in attendance of that event. That as much as anything reflected this gentle giant's demeanor and personality. If we can vote - I am one in favor. If there is a request and demand, I can set up a survey question and send results to "management".

Just let me know how many are in favor, how many are not in favor, and how many are possibly in favor of a name change but know of a more suiting name!

I don't know that I would rename that Tournament, as LittleJohn fished everywhere the Owner's went..

I would prefer to have an extra award for an Ironman, for the person that goes wayyy beyond a normal day of fishing, just as LittleJohn did..

Name an Award in his honor.. Maybe a second 'People's Choice' award..

Woodsie

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LJ had a 17HPX and he took it across Florida Bay from Islamorada to Flamingo and back when it was super snotty and blowing like hell during one OT. Many of us did the same run that day, but we had MA17-21's RF21's and PF22's. I think the flip flop refers to the tiny 17HPX.

I think the flip flop refers to the tiny 17HPX.

Correct me if I am wrong, but LittleJohn.. the largest of MBC members, had an HPX-15.. It looked like he was sitting in a flip flop..

This 'legend of the OT' started the day with 18 gallons of gas, and his 40 hp motor. He ran all the way to East Cape, fished all day by himself, and then ran back without getting fuel. It was well past dark on the snotty night.. As we ate supper on the ocean, I saw the bobbing running lights & LittleJohn's huge smile as he ran into Breezy Palms' marina. He had on his frog Togs, and was marvelling at the fuel economy of his little boat.. He was amazed, and said that as he p***ed Little Rabbit Key, he was showing only one bar on the fuel gauge. He could not believe he made it all the way back.. He laughed and said that he moved a full fish cooler back to drop the stern a bit for the fuel pickup.. He is a Legend.

Normally, the OT is on the last Fri & Sat in September.

Archived