JP on MA 17? Yes or no?

Wanaflatsfish

I would lean towards no. Mostly because I think to take advantage of a jackplate on any boat it has to be atleast 6", anything less like 4" is not enough to allow the motor to run higher. But then, when you move the motor back 6" I think you loose draft and need more tabs.

I have no experience with a jackplate on a 17, so that's all just a thought. Might be worth a try, if you find a used one you could turn and sell with little loss if it doesn't work out.

11 minutes ago, Lap it Up said:

Buttapollack (however that's spelled, sorry😁) ran one and has lots of knowledge. I personally wouldn't own a flats boat or bay boat without a plate. Technical poling skiff is different. 

I'm concerned about the porposing.....I do like the ability to raise the lower unit out of the water....

Toying with the idea as Bob has one for sale...but, Momma is telling me....Ya-basta on the $$$ for da bote :)

dc

1 hour ago, conocean said:

For what? Just asking.

All the MA's are known to porpoise with the wrong mix of tab.

I was able to raise my old Merc's lower unit out of the water without a jp.

Yes, more of what Lap it up was referring; however, thinking out loud....with the new Ulterra 80, I have found myself not idling in and out of fishing spots, but, rather, using the TM to get into a spot - again, I normally stop 75-80 yards out and ease in while I"m rigging the rods from the bote.

DC

I say No. So will Skip. Although Robert (buttapollock) and others claim to have different results. 

I added one to my 17 and learned the expensive way that it does not serve the primary purpose of allowing you to run skinnier.  I have a Bob's JP with a 4" setback and if you raise it up past the 3" mark on the plate the boat will both porpoise and cavitate like crazy.  I added 5 degree negative wedges and they help with the hole shot and a little bit to help running with the plate up but there's just something about the hull design on the 17 that does not allow you to raise the plate up all the way to it's furthest height (6") without losing bite.  So for raising that plate up all the way in order to run through some skinny water, forget it.... you're better off just keeping the plate all the way down and trimming up as high as you can to run skinny - that's what I've learned to do (which is what you'd do if you didn't have the JP in the first place).  And if you think you're going to be able to raise that plate all the way up for a hole shot in shallow water, forget it... won't happen. You'll see porpoising like never before.  It will be like riding a bucking bronco at the rodeo. 

What I do like about the plate is that it allows you to idle around in shallow water looking for bait, getting close to the beach, etc., just those times when you want to move around slowly in shallow water but do not necessarily need the stealth of the trolling motor.  But that's about it.

1 hour ago, pondfisher said:

I say No. So will Skip. Although Robert (buttapollock) and others claim to have different results. 

I added one to my 17 and learned the expensive way that it does not serve the primary purpose of allowing you to run skinnier.  I have a Bob's JP with a 4" setback and if you raise it up past the 3" mark on the plate the boat will both porpoise and cavitate like crazy.  I added 5 degree negative wedges and they help with the hole shot and a little bit to help running with the plate up but there's just something about the hull design on the 17 that does not allow you to raise the plate up all the way to it's furthest height (6") without losing bite.  So for raising that plate up all the way in order to run through some skinny water, forget it.... you're better off just keeping the plate all the way down and trimming up as high as you can to run skinny - that's what I've learned to do (which is what you'd do if you didn't have the JP in the first place).  And if you think you're going to be able to raise that plate all the way up for a hole shot in shallow water, forget it... won't happen. You'll see porpoising like never before.  It will be like riding a bucking bronco at the rodeo. 

What I do like about the plate is that it allows you to idle around in shallow water looking for bait, getting close to the beach, etc., just those times when you want to move around slowly in shallow water but do not necessarily need the stealth of the trolling motor.  But that's about it.

Excellent report....yes, looks like my Ulterra 80 will be running alot looking for the bait and moving into the bights....

dc

• 1 month later...

I say why not. That hull can hold a lot more weight than these light v4's. switch to a 4 blade prop and try a 6 inch set back or the 5.5 from cmc. I added a CMC to my 02 18.5 w 175 hpdi.... including and extra .5 set back from the powerpole bracket for a total of 6 inches and wish i would have added it sooner than 2 months before i sold the boat. ran awesome! I would def try one on the 17.

didn't sit noticeably different at all or really porpoise anymore then it already did w/o the jp. 1st is without jp, rest are with...

IMG_5259.JPG

IMG_7599.JPG

IMG_7957.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG

Archived