MA 17 with Yammie Dog 2 smoke 115 (4 BLADE PROP) RECOMMENDATION

Wanaflatsfish

NM, I found a 2008 brochure.  The NADA numbers were way off.  Looks like the hull is around 1,450 # which is a little more than my RF 16.  That brings me to my recommendation:  Mercury SpitFire X7 (13 X 17P) prop.  Outstanding hole-shot, grip, gas mileage and top speed.  With your 2.00 gear case, I'd almost bet money that you would get at least 45 MPH at 5600 RPM.

On January 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Please provide your numbers on this if you have it?

Also, what kind of fuel economy are you all seeing on the 115 ?  

DC

Member Mitz did a lot of prop testing on a 17MA with 115 ProV.  He liked Turbo props. Might want to reach out to him.  He went contender now but maybe he still checks PM's. Turbo is normally cheaper than PT. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 4:42 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Please provide your numbers on this if you have it?

Also, what kind of fuel economy are you all seeing on the 115 ?  

DC

Just back from the first trip.....

35 miles....9.5 gallons of fuel....so, we'll call it 3.5 MPG...not bad.

Prop is not right..only getting 46 RPM Max....hole shot terrible - large ported 3 blade...but, does not jump up as expected.

dc

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 5:46 AM, Lap it Up said:

Member Mitz did a lot of prop testing on a 17MA with 115 ProV.  He liked Turbo props. Might want to reach out to him.  He went contender now but maybe he still checks PM's. Turbo is normally cheaper than PT. 

Indeed so gents haha but will always love my MA's!! So DC, my 17 came w a standard yam 3 blade  (turbo brand) 13.25x17 that would hit 5.6k rpm. well it was like riding on a wet noodle. hole shot wasn't bad actually but as soon as u gave any positive trim the prop would blow out. Also, even trimmed all the way down and going only at 22ish, it would lose grip in creeks. U should pull the prop and check the pitch. you really should be at least around 5.3k. Max rpm is 5.5k. either way, pull the prop and clean the back which should expose the stamp and the specs.

I am a big fan of the turbo fx4 in 16 pitch, i believe the powertech ptr 4 is similar but .25 larger in dia, as mentioned above the read a lot of good things about the merc spitfire. 

Archived