Rebuild Thread Begun_Please Welcome The Holy Ghost To the Forum

Wanaflatsfish

Just picked her up last night..... this was the boat on the forum....I saw her on Monday night and gave the owner a $500 deposit on the morning...paid for her yesterday and picked her up.

The boat was a two owner and the previous owner was a policeman who was very detailed -the boat has not been run in 5-6 years due to health reasons and had been garage kept.

The owner was very professional and she had her husband's boat  given a full service with a full carb rebuild, impeller, plugs, new battery etc. - about $800 in service.

The hull is in like new condition and the engine does not have an ounce of rust -

DonH and I will be conducting our magic this weekend and I will be disassbling the Skinny Mini and transferring everything to the new bote. 

Here are a few pics....look for the transformation in the Maverick section.

Here are the upgrades coming:

1.) Tires are "ok" but I will be trailering her long distances...will buy new tires ASAP with bearings

2.) Powerpoles transferred

3.) Ulteraa

4.) Needs new trolling motor charger and batteries -will transfer

5.) Fuel tank cleaned and will run a new fuel line

6.) Needs new bilge pumps and live well pumps.

More to come....

32550268345_e723e4c2e2_h.jpgIMG_2724 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

31737967583_b6b7daefa4_h.jpgIMG_2717 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

32550269205_d27addc99c_h.jpgIMG_2714 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dino, how do you plan to access that fuel line connection at the tank? I've always wondered the best way to get with it? Also, if the valves on the livewell pumps haven't been replaced, may want to knock those out also with new strainers when you replace the Rule pumps.

2 minutes ago, FLDXT said:

Dino, how do you plan to access that fuel line connection at the tank? I've always wondered the best way to get with it? Also, if the valves on the livewell pumps haven't been replaced, may want to knock those out also with new strainers when you replace the Rule pumps.

there is a large access pie hole in the front hatch...will take pics....

Pumps..no idea...only know the bilge is very clean...

dc

1 hour ago, FLDXT said:

I'll get in there sometime over the weekend.

dc

When you say "clean fuel tank" what exactly is your plan for that? Seems like a great place to start on a new boat, but I never know exactly what to do

If your gonna be doing a lot of work in bilge might wanna start with a bigger access hatch. I always regret not doing so AFTER the fact..

20 hours ago, justfish said:

When you say "clean fuel tank" what exactly is your plan for that? Seems like a great place to start on a new boat, but I never know exactly what to do

If your gonna be doing a lot of work in bilge might wanna start with a bigger access hatch. I always regret not doing so AFTER the fact..

Just fish...I called a professional fuel tank cleaner.  He is Bruce Gunn of Gunn Marine....great guy, recommended by John at Maxxium Marine...thanks John.  Bruce's number: 954 522 6346 for service in the South Florida Area....

Bruce came to the house and we removed the batteries and she took off the sender unit under the console.  The tank was full.  He told me....good decision..the fuel was literally "golden" and had a "varnish" smell.  He drained the tank, then used his pressure hose to add clean fuel to clean the walls of the tank...he examined it and said it's in perfect shape..no rust was seen in the tank or fuel.

He drains it into a large barrel and then it's removed for proper disposal.  

At the same time, he drained the oil system....the oil was like mud and funky....he told me to immediately remove the tank and clean it out...when I got the unit out, i found chunks of oil at the bottom the oil tank.  As well, the oil filter not he bottom of the tank had never been changed from what it looked like...went to the Yamaha dogg dealer and my bud's got me fixed up.

The plugs were not changed at the service that Total Marine conducted, but, Klint recommended three things:

1.) New on board filter - easy peasy to change - took about ten min and $20 

2.) Change the fuel pump - they are small plastic diaphragms and the mechanic recommended that after sitting for so many years, it's a simple change for $50 or so.  Done.

3.) Change the plugs - done.

Here are a few pics of the beginning of the work....

More to come......

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

Keep the info and pics coming.  This is exactly what needs to be done when you buy a used boat.  You should not believe the "it was just serviced" "I run it once a month!" Etc etc. Do all the maintenance as soon as you get it home and you'll know for sure the ins and outs of your engine and hull.  Good job Dino.  

2 minutes ago, Lap it Up said:

Keep the info and pics coming.  This is exactly what needs to be done when you buy a used boat.  You should not believe the "it was just serviced" "I run it once a month!" Etc etc. Do all the maintenance as soon as you get it home and you'll know for sure the ins and outs of your engine and hull.  Good job Dino.  

Yes, I did see the carb rebuild....but, Total Marine was just trying to get it back up and running...to sell it....there was a lot more that should have been done...as you can see by what I'm doing to be safe on the water...the Carb Rebuild was step one....and she does run on the first turn of the crank......

but, as we all know...much more required than just starting :)

dc

21 hours ago, mustang190 said:

If you have some room, install a RACOR fuel filter. Or something similar. Your still going to have some trash/sediment in that tank until you run a few tanks of gas thru it. 

Mustang....installed...

I had the fuel tank completely cleaned by a professional....he said the tank was good to go....but, I always have a RACOR on my vessels.

DC

Capt DonH and I were able to to water test the new skiff.....

One word.......WOW !!!

I had heard about the legendary ride of the MA17 and actually bought this skiff never having been in one....I went on the recommendation of my bud's Dave Stoots, Poleposition, and Conocean all who have owned the MA's....now I ask....why on God's earth did you guys ever sell them ???

We filled the tank up with Rec 90, got the oil systems up and running and took here out for a quick spin.......

Launched at 17th st in FLL and wanted to run her WOT to just see how she'd run...

I found her ability to "jump" up...amazing with the 115 two smoker....as I told DonH as we were idling - "she wants to run"....we laughed.

There were way to many boater in the inlet to jump up to WOT...but, we decided to take her out into the ocean.....another double WOW....it was sloppy, but, not unsafe...

We never got a drop of water on us....i can truly say, she ran very similar to my Pathfinder in the chop....I found her to be very dry....

We made it out down near the Dania Pier and ran the beach a bit....then turned around...

Idled back in and then had a problem....she died at the dock.....fuel ball flat.....so, I stripped her down last night and found no gunk in the and-siphon, and blew out the sender unit and fuel lines with air....

I checked the fuel ball and I believe this is the problem...it's an old ATTWOOD...I bought a new OEM Yamadog ball and will be changing it out today and make another run...

What I"ll be doing:

1.) Install new anitisiphon into tank on fuel sender

2.) Install new connection lines from RACOR (installed) to engine

With this....I hope this will be the fix.

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2813.JPG

Further update today.....

1.) I was able to re-do the fuel line system....changed out the RACOR and checked the fuel tank....I installed a new OEM bulb- Yamaha

2.) Took her out in the cold rain today..ran great...looks like the fuel issues are gone !!! I ran her for about 1/2 hour at idle and up and back at WOT for about 15 min in the inlet....

3.) Pics below are the racer install and the comparison to the OEM vs. Attwood bulb...I cut open the bulb and found it to be very flimsy....as well, I added fuel line to allow the bulb to sit vertical so there is no "pinch" in the line as it was making it's way around the corner and into the chase tube.

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

Good work. Might check the fuel line also, to be sure its the type that can handle non ethanol gas. Being a little older boat, I have no idea when they started using that type of line.

It appears to be all original...the lines seem to be "OK"...no softness or mushy...

I don't know if he ran REC prior but I've been advised to only run Rec 90.

dc

If you can see it, i think the part number will tell you. Or it could just the color of the hose, grey vs black maybe, one is good the other is not,  I just don't remember for sure.

I've heard some guys had the ethanol eat the liner out of the old hose. If the previous owner ran all non ethanol, that's great.

I use black marine grade ethonal resistant A1 hose whenever I can. It is thick walled for fire resistance so it's a little difficult in some rigging tubes but it's the best. Looks like you have Moeller B1 installed. It's a decent line and as long as it hasn't separated it should be fine with Rec. That Blue line the industry tried for a while is absolute junk. Don't buy it don't use it. 

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1133

Archived