1993 Hewes Redfisher 18

HarleyG8r

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the compliments guys, but believe me, I'm no pro. There's plenty of cracks, nicks, imperfections and scrapes where I just got tired of prepping, said "screw it" and went ahead and gelcoated anyways. I may go back and touch up those spots with an artist's brush and some wax paper later on if I'm ever bored. For right now, I'm committed to go down to Islamorada a week from Friday, so I just want to get the dumb thing back together.

I've just gone slow, measured everything 3 times before cutting/drilling/mixing, and asked about a million dumb questions on here, at the fibergl*** shop, etc., etc. I've never done a lick of gl*** work in my life before taking this on, so I'm living proof that it can actually be done. It's been hard work, but a lot of fun, and educational as well. The only advice I could give is, when figuring cost and time, think of every contingency, every unforseen thing, any possible thing at all that could go wrong, and factor it into your estimate and schedule. Then, double both of those numbers, and you should be pretty close to accurate.

Don't under estimate Harley's statement! Last July, I needed to replace one pump. So, what that about $75.00.

Well, to get to the pump I needed a larger access, so add one TH Marine Hatch, $80.00. Pull the pump. Marlon frozen, strainer is 5200d to the Marlon and to the pump. Add a new ball valve ($24.00), add a strainer ($18.00), get some flexable hose ($8.00). While I am down there I notice another pump has a small crack. Double above. What the heck, replace all three, triple above.

:content: Always something to repair, clean, up grade or add.....

And this is why we NEVER let ours wives see the shopping receipts when we get back from buying that one little item we originally told her we needed to replace.

This is why we don't have wives! I'd post some pics from the Islamorada sandbar in a week and a half, but wouldn't want to get any of you boys in trouble. }:|

And this is why we NEVER let ours wives see the shopping receipts when we get back from buying that one little item we originally told her we needed to replace.

This is why we don't have wives! I'd post some pics from the Islamorada sandbar in a week and a half, but wouldn't want to get any of you boys in trouble. }:|

What dates exactly will you be there? I live in Key Largo and go there every Sunday (EVERY Sunday). I'd like to meet you and see the boat in person. Awesome job on the resto btw!

What dates exactly will you be there? I live in Key Largo and go there every Sunday (EVERY Sunday). I'd like to meet you and see the boat in person. Awesome job on the resto btw!

Heading down Friday the 6th after work, so probably leaving Broward County around 6:00. Going to hit bridges for tarpon Saturday morning, then be between the sandbar and tiki bar for the afternoon, and tiki bar that night. Have a slip at Holiday Isle where I'm staying, so Saturday evening would probably be the best time to meet up. Going to fish again Sunday morning, then head back for Mother's Day. I'll PM you my contact info.

Almost looks like a boat again.

IMG_0262_zpsidgobsog.jpg

IMG_0263_zps2llmnl4l.jpg

IMG_0268_zpsxh9rszzn.jpg

Not a whole lot left to do from here. Need to connect the steering and engine control cables, hook up the nav lights and the pumps to the terminal block under the console, bleed the steering, and screw the console back down. Also have to run a wire up the leg of the poling platform for an anchor light, which I'm not looking forward to, and bolt the platform deck back on. Everything else is just cosmetic. I'm hoping to be able to wet test sometime this weekend or beginning of next week.

Does your Poling Platform already have a hole for the wire? I tied a nut to a piece of fishing line and lowered it down to the bilge and tied the wire to the fishing line and pulled it through.

Took no time at all.

Looking good! And it doesn't look like a boat, it looks like a new boat :content:

Since I've been doing all the work to the inside, I've been neglecting the outside. The hullsides were starting to get a bit chalky again, so took some time today to polish her up. I wetsanded using a 5" random orbit power sander and 1200 grit, followed up with heavy compound on the rotary buffer and Collonite Fleetwax. The last time I wetsanded, I did it by hand, but the machine was much easier and gave better results.

P5011604_zpsgigwz1yo.jpg

P5011606_zpsnp19m0kv.jpg

P5011607_zpsqlk3sj40.jpg

Finally got her back in the water. Everything runs and works perfect. Only issue is the pie plate in the motor well leaks into the bilge, and when the baitwell is full, the plate is below the waterline. Woke up to a fair bit of water in the bilge on Sunday morning. Should be a pretty easy fix, though.

Tied up at Holiday Isle in Islamorada

P5071622_zpstxtz0dwa.jpg

On the sandbar and flying the colors

P5071628_zps64s8gfej.jpg

Sunset at Loreli

P5071682_zpsf55toqlq.jpg

Awesome Restoration. You should be very proud of your work there. I dont have the patience for all the prep which is why I leave it to the experts. Wish you could pick up some patience at the hardware store and I would be fine.

Great stuff.

Ben

• 8 months later...

I’m usually browsing the Maverick forum and then I found your post. Wow, kudos on the work, you really brought that boat to life! I know you did this last year and I wish I had found this earlier, but I’m now planning similar work on my 92 Master Angler. I have the same issues with the console holes and gel coat; my question is what filler material did you use to fill the old holes before gl***ing? I have two large speaker holes along with the stereo’s cut out and a bunch of small holes of course. I am trying to find the best way to fix all of these problems.

For the small holes, I used a fibergl*** filler that included pieces of ground gl***. Came out of the can looking like an olive green putty. I bought it from Fibergl*** Coatings, Inc. across the street from B*** Pro in Dania. Not sure where you're located, but they're worth the trip if you're anywhere nearby. Guy named Dave who works there was a huge help for me throughout this whole process.

For the larger (gauge) holes, I pulled out the console and turned it upside down. Laid a couple layers of mat across the inside and wetted it out. Once it dried, I turned it over and filled the holes using resin and circles of mat cut out to fit the holes, 3 or 4 layers at a time (any more layers than this, and the resin heats up too much and won't cure properly).

If I can give any more advice/help/whatever, please feel free to shoot me a PM or an e-mail. I'm happy to help however I can, if for nothing more than to save you from some of the mistakes I made.

For the small holes, I used a fibergl*** filler that included pieces of ground gl***. Came out of the can looking like an olive green putty.

Harley, are you refering to "BONDO GL***"?

It can be purchased at Home Cheapo, Walmart, Lowes or probably any hardware store.

You did an outstanding job on your rig. :thumbup:

Archived