26 hps with 350

Big Sexy

Update on fuel burn! 

After now having 30 hrs on motor, I can now tell you my fuel burn is an average of 3.4 mpg (low side) and 3.8 mpg ( high side )! 

All said and done I couldn't be more happier with the 350 and even with what some who may say your only getting 50 more HP!

the xtra touqe that your are getting is where it really shines, best money spent so far in my opinion! 

As soon as I get the 23 pitch sws to a 22 pitch sws, I will update when that's completed.

Thanks for looking 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for your post!  Just purchased the same set up, 2600 hps w/t-top and yam 350.  Running a Yamaha saltwater series XL 15 1/2 X 19. Loving the ride, haven't concentrated on total performance as I've been having my young sons onboard but as soon as weather is clear will put her thru her paces.... and compare her performances # with yours...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, marzomi said:

anyone have a view on an F350 on a 2500 hybrid?  About to order a 2500 and was considering the big v8...  Any views/opinions?

I myself always goes for the biggest motor the boat will handle...... but I zero experience on the 25 hybrid.. sorry! 

54 minutes ago, Big Sexy said:

I myself always goes for the biggest motor the boat will handle...... but I zero experience on the 25 hybrid.. sorry! 

I agree, i'm the same way.  Im very considerate to the idea of "over provisioning" the power plant for a given platform.  Motor typically runs easier and less stress and strain often times translate to better longevity and higher efficiency.  I am a little concerned about the weight difference of the F350 vs the F300 but im assuming the 2500 platform wont react that adversely to an extra 200 pounds on the transom ... but idk so i'm asking.  I do believe that there are some 2500's out in the wild sportin F350's...   Would love some real world experiences on this one....

14 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

I chose the 300 on my 2500 only because of the significant weight difference between the 300 and the 350. I figure by the time I have to repower Yamaha will have put the 350 on a diet. 

yeah the weight is my primary concern...  although in the grand scheme of things i cant see it really being a big impact.  But i don't know what i don't know, obviously.   I know there's someone out there with a 2500 and a 350....  I cant be the only maniac :)

There's lots of prop/performance data on the 2500 with Yamaha 300 on the interwebs (another popular boating forum). Seems to run mid to high 50's with hard top and all the popular options.

I expect to pick up my 2500 with 350 Verado today or tomorrow. The dealer said he tried 3 or 4 props and expects it to run high 50's, maybe 60's in good conditions with a light load. Keep in mind I have a half tower with hard top, stereo, powerpoles, etc. 

Also, if you read through, I recall seeing Big Sexy saying he was still playing with props even after he hit 65 as it was a struggle to get to that speed.

I tested a 2500 owned by Capt. Eric Davis who is on this forum. The two of us, fuel nearly full, a soft T-top and a few things inside the storage compartments we hit 59 across the open Atlantic with semi-smooth conditions. I'm pretty sure that mine without a T-top will exceed 60 by a little bit. I believe he had a 15 1/2 x 20 Saltwater series II Yamaha 3 blade. 

On 8/3/2017 at 4:21 PM, marzomi said:

Honest question.  Why Vrod 350 over yamaha F350?

350 vs 350...I think the verado wins. 300 vs 300 the Yamaha wins. For no reason or another I've always owned Mercury's and never had any issues. This being my first new boat with having a choice of motors...I wanted a tower boat that could still keep up with the tournament redfish guys so I opted for the 350, it being a mercury was just a plus since thats what I'm used to.

1 hour ago, bw1199 said:

350 vs 350...I think the verado wins. 300 vs 300 the Yamaha wins. For no reason or another I've always owned Mercury's and never had any issues. This being my first new boat with having a choice of motors...I wanted a tower boat that could still keep up with the tournament redfish guys so I opted for the 350, it being a mercury was just a plus since thats what I'm used to.

Understood and i believe the vrods are quality motors...  my reason for liking the 350 v8 is a load thing... Boats are effectively always going "uphill".  I like naturally aspirated cubic inches vs a supercharger to perform that work. I want the motor to work easier most of the time...  and the idea of that v8 intrigues me ;>   and i am well aware of the F350's sorted history but at this point most of it is sorted.  its a free flywheel every 80 hours at mid range rpm range...  like 6 bolts...  not even a press on flywheel ....   :) 

Good luck with ur new rig.  It looks awesome please share some perf numbers when u get props sorted

• 4 months later...

Archived