26 hps with 350

Big Sexy

On 2/13/2017 at 6:54 PM, Big Sexy said:

The way I read that Article, its all about the new version 350 V8 which is also 50 pounds lighter than last version! I don't believe they will do a 350 v6 but I know for sure they are or have a 400 on the V8 platform.

I hear Pathfinder is going to start offering Mercury packages.  Several buddies say their next Pathfinder package will have a Mercury on it if Yamaha doesn't deliver......

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Dawgfan said:

I hear Pathfinder is going to start offering Mercury packages.  Several buddies say their next Pathfinder package will have a Mercury on it if Yamaha doesn't deliver......

That would at least be a nice option! I for may choose to with 400 Merc....... but honestly I have always been a Yamaha fan. 

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Here is the first run of numbers, what a difference in performance! I spent all morning doing the proper break in so here there are on prop 1.

Prop..... Saltwater series 2. 15.25X21

Load..... 4 aldults, loaded cooler and a half tank of fuel.

Hole shot was very good, no strain on motor at all.

cruise speed 32 mph at 3200 rpms burning 9.5 gph 3.1 mpg better than that I was able to keep the boat on second step at speeds as low as 26 mph

as far as top speeds are concerned going against current and a strong 15 mph head wind was able to see 59.9 gps

by the time we turned around and start back the other way the wind decided to change with, with current saw 61.8 mph at 58 rpms but to be honest I think there mom but the wife made slow down lol! 

In any case I think this prop is the one but because they are on back order and this one was borrowed, I will see what Merc has to offer.

i will do another update later this week when it's just two of are in the boat I can play trim and jack plate.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2nd Update  

Same prop as above 

Ran the boat by myself today and with most of my gear, 60 gallons of fuel I was off!

caught the tide at a dead high 10 to 15 mph wind. I was able to hit a new record of 6000 rpm at 63.6 mph

i can't wait to get the power tech prop but I think I may need a bigger prop other than 16X20 we will see! 

Take note of the cruise speed and fuel consumption way better numbers that I ever saw with the 300.

at this point I'm very happy with upgrade almost like a new boat for me! For me at this point I just want to how fast I can get her up too.......... here are a few pics because they speak louder than words hehe

sorry about the black lines but zoom in and you can see clearly 

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Nice!  Your numbers look really nice.  I get the same fuel consumption with my 4 blade Turbo Prop on the 300 but it's 4 blade and I don't sniff 60......Just curious, when running wot, I guess you can sense the boat riding higher out of the water?  It would be cool if you could get someone to take some pics from another boat as you pass by running 63....then we could see how high the steps are out of the water.....either way, nice set up......maybe if you polish the prop you can get 65??????

12 minutes ago, Dawgfan said:

Nice!  Your numbers look really nice.  I get the same fuel consumption with my 4 blade Turbo Prop on the 300 but it's 4 blade and I don't sniff 60......Just curious, when running wot, I guess you can sense the boat riding higher out of the water?  It would be cool if you could get someone to take some pics from another boat as you pass by running 63....then we could see how high the steps are out of the water.....either way, nice set up......maybe if you polish the prop you can get 65??????

I plan on doing that exact thing, kinda want to see it myself! The rooster tail this thing throws is cool too.

Yes the 300 was good motor, I'm definitely not knocking it. I ran a Merc 17 4 blade but I never could get it to get over 2.8 mpg... max speed 53mph I could run a 3 blade ssw2 19 and see 57 to 58 but as soon as I topped the boat off and put four of us in the boat...... it became a slug. I'm not the smallest guy at 6.4 325lbs and hell my wife is six feet tall herself with the 350 honestly I don't think my load matters anymore for me!

i will be in the boat again Friday I hope! 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE..........

Got a chance to run my newest prop to my collection lol!

Salt Water Series XL 15.25X23 boat load was half tank fuel rear live well full 1 person little windy that day! 

Over all I liked the numbers.... hole shot about same as 21 but mid range was bit better pic is hard to see but 3200 rpm speed of 35 mph and a fuel burn 3.3 mpg 10.5 gph 

Top end went up a bit all trimmed out with a very impressive rooster tail I might add , mange to hit 65.2 mph at 5700 rpms! Not bad in my book. Now I bought this prop new off EBay and since it did not come in Yamaha box, I will be sending to prop shop to insure the pitch and have it balanced with a polish! 

Bottom line guys the 350 Yamaha has made this thing come alive!

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

1 hour ago, Dawgfan said:

Nice!!!!! I like it...

Are the fish that fast in Florida????  Ha..  

I've wondered that myself sometimes........... like Ricky Bobby says if you ain't first your last lol

However it does come in handy when we all pull off the sand bar at one time.... 

4 hours ago, Big Sexy said:

Yes I agree I was quiet supprised myself! I plan doing a video as soon I get the prop back from the shop! Can't wait.....

Makes me really curious on what the performance numbers will be with the Merc 350 and Merc 400 propped correctly. If they are similar, faster or slower. I'm neither a Yamaha or Mercury guy so really curious to see how hey match up. 

10 hours ago, RCW said:

Have you noticed any difference in the draft with the 350?

I think I might have dipped a half an inch or so, but not enough to really see a major difference or any problem. But what I got in performance has been all around good! I think when I load the boat down with 6 or more is where I will really see an improvement from my upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, TP13 said:

Where's that video!!??!!

Sorry for the delay here is one running around 62mph, I'm still playing with props. Tried several Merc props wasn't happy with any of them. The Saltwater Series XL 23 that I seen 65mph is tad to big, just to much of a struggle to get to 5700 rpms light load. I will be sending that to a prop shop and turning it down to a 22 pitch which I believe will be a perfect then. I think it will turn 5800 at 65mph. What I can tell you, is with the 21 pitch this thing hits 60 no matter the load or how many people in the boat. I am averaging 3.4 mpg which I feel good with, while running in the ocean it doesn't lug going over waves at all. Worth every penny and now I love my boat all over again lol

IMG_0024.mov

Archived