26 hps with 350

Big Sexy

Hi;

I currently own a 2016 26 HPS with the Yamaha 300 T-Top, radar, trolly and twin power poles! I am currently looking to upgrade to the 350 and wanted to see if anyone out there has a similar boat set up as mine that has the 350 already installed! If so plz leave a comment as to what type of overall performance you have experience? Hole shot, midrange and top speed? Thank you in advanced for any comments.

Shane

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2013 2600 HPS w/300 Yamaha.  When I ordered mine, I spoke with my dealer about the 350 and he said adding the extra 240 lbs. didn't show him any real gains on hole shot and only a couple of MPH and made the boat sit lower in the water.....  (He drove a test boat) His advice was not to do it.  According the the performance bulletin, 350 gives you 61 mph with a stock 3 blade.  When I ran my boat with a 3 blade, it ran 59 touching 60 with the 300.....All that being said, I'd like to drive one with a 350 on it just feel the difference.  If you decide to do it, I'd love to hear what you think about the extra 50 HP.....Maybe the guys at Pathfinder have some advice.....I'd give them a call....

1 hour ago, Dawgfan said:

I have a 2013 2600 HPS w/300 Yamaha.  When I ordered mine, I spoke with my dealer about the 350 and he said adding the extra 240 lbs. didn't show him any real gains on hole shot and only a couple of MPH and made the boat sit lower in the water.....  (He drove a test boat) His advice was not to do it.  According the the performance bulletin, 350 gives you 61 mph with a stock 3 blade.  When I ran my boat with a 3 blade, it ran 59 touching 60 with the 300.....All that being said, I'd like to drive one with a 350 on it just feel the difference.  If you decide to do it, I'd love to hear what you think about the extra 50 HP.....Maybe the guys at Pathfinder have some advice.....I'd give them a call....

Just out of curiosity what prop was that, you hit 59 mph? 

5 hours ago, northernsnooker said:

I think there is a 2600 HPS for sale on boat trader with a Verado 350.  I know its not the same as the Yammie 350, but may be worth a phone call.

Yeah I will take a look, I k 98% are sold with the 300 but you would think there would be at least one of the 2% on this forum with the 350. LOL!

43 minutes ago, Big Sexy said:

Yeah I will take a look, I k 98% are sold with the 300 but you would think there would be at least one of the 2% on this forum with the 350. LOL!

Talked to the guy with the Merc 350 he had nothing but great things to say. Tops out at 62 and loaded for the day with 4 in the boat gas loaded with ice always sees to get 58-59. Not bad! Wish I can find someone with a yammy 350, which I think personally is stronger than the Merc. 

Update 

Well then, I took a ride on a 2600 trs that the dealer had a 350 installed and WOW what difference.  So I ordered one today it will be here in 10 days or so and I will up date you with sum data........ can't wait with what I saw today I'm super excited! 

Thanks for looking......

Shane

15 hours ago, Cajun4746 said:

Well, while we wait on your new motor to arrive, can you tell us a little more about what you saw on the test ride.  More details please.

Sorry for the delay! Here is the deal, so the test boat was 2600 TRS no gear and about 30 gallons of fuel. Prop sws 2 15.5 x 19 xl.

Right off the bat the hole shot was crazy less than 4 seconds, very little bow lift. Top speed 61 while hitting the rev limiter at 6100 rpm..... I might add I hit 6100 rpm without hitting full throttle. Now what impressed me the most was being able to have the boat plane out and ride on the second step at a low speed of 26mph. It ran even smoother at 29mph at 3100 rpm. Now here's the deal right of the bat I think it needs to run a sws 2 15.25x21 also my boat is the hps which I believe is a little lighter and console seems to be half the size. As soon as I get mine on, I will run a few test with gear and fuel with both above props. Overall the boat handled like a different boat all together. Also worth mentioning the boat didn't squat in the back at a float.

The 300 I have used for 120 hrs has been a great motor. After  trying about every prop I could get my hands on, I have not been happy with any of them. Hole shot never been great and mid range has been a struggle to keep on step. Top speed 53 to 54 fully trimmed out. 

Will put more info up as soon as I run the boat! 

Shane

14 hours ago, Conceptzj said:

Are you going to be selling the 300?    I wonder if anyone has a 24TE with a 300 and what their numbers are.

I have such a great dealer, they traded me out of the motor and sold me the new one. I didn't loose near what I should have as trading in. Otherwise I would have for sure listed it on here! 

• 2 weeks later...

Huge fan of the Yamaha 300.  Here is a pic of my Freeman going 65mph across the pocket heading towards Chub Cay.  It had 557s on it. I did the upgrade to 627s but didn't even put 5 minutes on them.  Had to sell it because of a divorce.  I have  found another one with quad yamaha 300s on it which I am excited to put through its paces.  My 26 hps has a 300 on it as well.  Propped right it runs well.  I am running what Ships Chandler suggested, Power tech 4 bladed 17p 3/8" ported.  Still breaking it in.  What would be gained would be so minimal compared to fuel economy and reliability in my opinion with a 350.   

IMG_2615.JPG

2 hours ago, Ketchum said:

Huge fan of the Yamaha 300.  Here is a pic of my Freeman going 65mph across the pocket heading towards Chub Cay.  It had 557s on it. I did the upgrade to 627s but didn't even put 5 minutes on them.  Had to sell it because of a divorce.  I have  found another one with quad yamaha 300s on it which I am excited to put through its paces.  My 26 hps has a 300 on it as well.  Propped right it runs well.  I am running what Ships Chandler suggested, Power tech 4 bladed 17p 3/8" ported.  Still breaking it in.  What would be gained would be so minimal compared to fuel economy and reliability in my opinion with a 350.   

IMG_2615.JPG

Nice pic capt...... we will see about the 350 soon, motor will be here this week! 

I'm running a mer 17p 4 blade 3/8 port, I can hit 5800 rpms, but the most I can get for speed is 52 mph Gps!

I spend most of my time in the 40s with my 26.  Top speed is fun to me, but is irrelevant. I know Barker loves mercury 350s.  He has put a bunch of 400s on as well.  Bang for the buck is the 350.  Very reliable sources say yamaha 450s are coming.  Some are waiting for the 2018 boats to put them on.  Also there is supposed to be a new 350 made out of the 300.  That would be worth the money if they squeezed a little more hp out of the 300 to me.  I am sure Seven marine has a 1000 hp on the drawing board.   Cant wait to hear how it goes for you.  Hope it checks all of your boxes.

22 minutes ago, Dawgfan said:

In this article, they mention a V6 Yamaha 350 but the Yamaha website doesn't mention it.....is this what you heard?

http://boatingindustry.com/news/2016/05/03/yamaha-introduces-new-f350c-4-2-liter-v6-offshore-mechanical-outboards/

The way I read that Article, its all about the new version 350 V8 which is also 50 pounds lighter than last version! I don't believe they will do a 350 v6 but I know for sure they are or have a 400 on the V8 platform.

On 2/1/2017 at 6:58 PM, Big Sexy said:

Update 

Well then, I took a ride on a 2600 trs that the dealer had a 350 installed and WOW what difference.  So I ordered one today it will be here in 10 days or so and I will up date you with sum data........ can't wait with what I saw today I'm super excited! 

Thanks for looking......

Shane

So how about an update on the 350?  I can't wait to hear how you prop it and performance.......

26 minutes ago, Dawgfan said:

So how about an update on the 350?  I can't wait to hear how you prop it and performance.......

Man I'm dying to report some news, like a kid waiting on Christmas morning lol! 

Motor should be here tomorrow then off for paint, should be on boat late next week I hope!

Archived