rubble

Gulf Breeze & Santa Rosa Island

I'll be down in the Gulf Breeze & Santa Rosa Island area during the first of April.  Will be there with my family for Spring Break.  Son is playing baseball in the area.  Trying to decide whether to take the Pathy or not.  Hate to be that close to snook and reds to not hook up with any.  Don't know the water at all in the area.  Did Google Earth and looks like lots of flats on the Sound side of the island(s).  The Destin pass looks interesting.  See lots of boats.  Can't tell if they are fishing or playing.  

What is the water like?  Would it be trouble for a rookie? Any good guides down there?  Is there anywhere to fish from land?  Anyone down there need a fishing buddy?

• Like 2

Best guide in the area is Capt. Baz at Gulf Breeze Guide Service.  He's the MAN!  PS no snook in the area. Water's too cold. Lots off redfish, trout, and many other species. Check out Baz' website:  www.gulfbreezeguideservice.com.  He has lots of photos of anglers with fish, some even include me. Ha

I gathered the Snook issue after reading Baz's www.  Looks like an interesting guide but more focused on Fly???  I'd love to try and fly fish but need some lessons.  I'm more of light tackle for Reds and Pomps I guess.  Are the Reds pretty active that time of year?  Sounds like that is when they are schooled up in the area.  I could get into a good Red Trip.  Think a Half-Day trip would be enough?  We'll have games M-F so I don't think I would be able to book a full day.  I'd hate to miss my son play.  Especially if we are on vaca.  While fishing in the salt water is a viable excuse, I don't want to be on that side of the courtroom arguing that case : )

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, rubble said:

I'll be down in the Gulf Breeze & Santa Rosa Island area during the first of April.  Will be there with my family for Spring Break.  Son is playing baseball in the area.  Trying to decide whether to take the Pathy or not.  Hate to be that close to snook and reds to not hook up with any.  Don't know the water at all in the area.  Did Google Earth and looks like lots of flats on the Sound side of the island(s).  The Destin pass looks interesting.  See lots of boats.  Can't tell if they are fishing or playing.  

What is the water like?  Would it be trouble for a rookie? Any good guides down there?  Is there anywhere to fish from land?  Anyone down there need a fishing buddy?

Leave the Pathy home...You and I will be fishing in April on my new RF18. No snook here. :(

The pass can be excellent fishing. Big reds. I landed my largest ever under the Destin bridge on a live pinfish. Many of the boats in the pass are bait fishing. The big sandbar directly north of the bridge is Crab Island, It's an excellent flat when the booze & boobs crowd is not there. LoL. Good flats in the sound between Destin and P'Cola.

The Pompano run usually extends into April. There are deep holes in the pass that are loaded with them. Easy peasy on pink leadheads with feather shirt.

And, the weather (wind) can make the Destin Pass a go or a NO! But when it's calm I can get out to the gulf in a small rig and fish the beach and bars. Fast moving Bonita are a blast!! And Spanish are common too.

What are your itinerary dates? I'll plan on it and put in for vacation time.

19 hours ago, LarryH said:

Leave the Pathy home...You and I will be fishing in April on my new RF18. No snook here. :(

The pass can be excellent fishing. Big reds. I landed my largest ever under the Destin bridge on a live pinfish. Many of the boats in the pass are bait fishing. The big sandbar directly north of the bridge is Crab Island, It's an excellent flat when the booze & boobs crowd is not there. LoL. Good flats in the sound between Destin and P'Cola.

The Pompano run usually extends into April. There are deep holes in the pass that are loaded with them. Easy peasy on pink leadheads with feather shirt.

And, the weather (wind) can make the Destin Pass a go or a NO! But when it's calm I can get out to the gulf in a small rig and fish the beach and bars. Fast moving Bonita are a blast!! And Spanish are common too.

What are your itinerary dates? I'll plan on it and put in for vacation time.

That's a plan!  Will check dates.