18.5 MA rod lockers do not fit pole over 7'

WetWilly

My '96 18.5 Master Angler DRL does not fit any rods over 7' in the rod lockers. This is a problem as most of my rods are 7'6" and the tarpon rods are 8'. 

I considered PVC inserts at the end of the locker but I can't figure out how I would install. There is too much depth to access from the locker hatch, even with my long arms, and I'm not sure I could get to it from a bow hatch. 

Has anyone else came across this problem?

On 1/18/2017 at 2:52 PM, WetWilly said:

My '96 18.5 Master Angler DRL does not fit any rods over 7' in the rod lockers. This is a problem as most of my rods are 7'6" and the tarpon rods are 8'. 

I considered PVC inserts at the end of the locker but I can't figure out how I would install. There is too much depth to access from the locker hatch, even with my long arms, and I'm not sure I could get to it from a bow hatch. 

Has anyone else came across this problem?

WetWilly, If you didn't give her away to Tarpon1215 yet...I have the same boat. 96 MA w DRL. Since your familiar with the layout I won't be too photo heavy but I found two options. One is to use the mesh rod sleeves and you can slide the rod tips to the very corner of the rod locker and can gain maybe 8-12". I load 7 and half footers in the port side this way. It helped so much that as you can see I double racked the rod holders.

The starboard locker I modified for fly rods and longer rods and at one time had 10" stick pin anchor in there before installing a power pole. The locker has to be modified though You can't reach it or I couldn't anyway.  I measured and located the forward rod locker partition best I could  thru the center hatch. On the inner liner by the deck drain I added an access port into the starboard rod locker. I selected this side to modify as the fuel fill and vent hoses are on the void between the center hatch inner wall and the hull on the starboard side.

This access port shown is into the unfinished side of the rod locker forward of the locker compartment partition. I then used a dremel to open the space up for a few long rods and to give me room to redo the OEM rod tubes and run new tubes to the anchor locker area. I callout the locker partition and hesitate to call it a bulkhead as it is just the front of the rod locker and doesnt extend all the way to the top cap as they OEM fly tubes are foamed in above this panel. Hope that makes sense. I cut the top out as I was removing the foamed in OEM tubes. Holler if its a s clear as mud. But yes...its is modifiable and gains 18-20 inches probably. Couple of shots to give an idea. Couldn't  get my phone far enough forward in the rod locker I modified to give you a decent inside shot.

The first shot is the unmodified locker showing the sleeves that I found that help tremendously

The other two are from inside the center hatch on the starboard side. 

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

Archived