90 HP 4 S on an 18.5 Maverick MA?

whichwaysup

Hey all - 

Question, as you know my 87 Master Angler is up for sale and will need a re-power.  My 87 is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than my 2000 MA.   I have a gentleman who asked me if a 90 HP 4S Merc would be sufficient for the boat.  If my current 30 year old 2S 115 pushes the boat at 45 MPH, any idea what 90 HP would look like on this boat?

I know some of your opinions of Mercs, so please be nice (but honest), as I'm going to be sharing this link with him!  

18 hours ago, Lap it Up said:

Would it plane the boat? Yes. Is it enough power? No. But that's my opinion. You would run around at nearly WOT all the time. Your 115 is a 90 degree V4. More bottom end torque than a Merc 90 inline 4.  The merc is a nice motor, but not enough for your 87. 

x2, 115 or better, jmo

On 1/18/2017 at 1:32 PM, whichwaysup said:

Hey all - 

Question, as you know my 87 Master Angler is up for sale and will need a re-power.  My 87 is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than my 2000 MA.   I have a gentleman who asked me if a 90 HP 4S Merc would be sufficient for the boat.  If my current 30 year old 2S 115 pushes the boat at 45 MPH, any idea what 90 HP would look like on this boat?

I know some of your opinions of Mercs, so please be nice (but honest), as I'm going to be sharing this link with him!  

It would depend on what the person wants to do.....I agree with all it's probably underpowered; however, if he has a 90Hp and is only going to use the boat for some local fishing and is not hard-core, it could help you with your sale....I have a little 50hp on the skinny mini...would I like a larger engine - yes, but, it pushes us along at 23-25 all day long...

again, would a 115 be better...Yes, but, to some, it may not be a deal breaker if you just want a boat, at a reasonable price, to enjoy on the water....some in the world are not as avid or educated as most here on the forum.....give him the facts and data....and then he can decide.

dc

Thanks all - one correction.  I would NOT put a 150 on that boat.  My other one, the 2000 has a 150 and screams.  The '87 is MUCH MUCH lighter, and I'm pretty sure she'd take off with that much power.  It's a different boat than my 2000, much lighter, "skiffier".   I love the feel of it, but it's a different feel than the "tank" feel of my 2000.

Archived