1987 Cobia Monte Carlo 189XL

kirbo7106

This is my first Cobia that I have ever owned. I've owned 4 other boats. Currently, I have this Cobia and an old Glastron. A friend was moving out of the state and gave it to me. I don't know much about the boat, other than what you can see. The floor has some soft spots and the seats are done. The boat hasn't been in the water for the last two years. The out-drive was supposedly rebuilt, but the rams look like they need to be rebuilt. He gave me a new carb, alternator and some filters. This is a total project boat. On the plus side, it does have a new stainless steel propeller, but it's only a three blade. I'll update with new pictures and info as it happens. If anyone has any information about this boat, it would be most appreciated.

1293658330-My_Cobia20.jpg.5338f4395efecb

Looks can be deceiving! I tried to lift the engine cover off so I could look at the engine. The wood started to break apart in my hands. I would be afraid to seat in the lounge seats. They would probably fall apart if you sat in one. This is going to be one of those complete restorations.

Looks just like an original mid 80s Cobia should. At least it's unmolested, and complete. Go ahead and pull the carpet and seats out, set the blade depth on your skill saw for 5/8" and cut that rotten floor out. Don't cut the hull, only the plywood. Then you'll be digging water logged foam out...Get a box of those large black lawn trash bags...for all the little foam pieces. You can cut the foam into squares with a hand saw and then dig them out with a pry bar and hammer.

• 4 months later...

I have a 1987 Cobia 172 XL that has been in the family since 1994. I love the boat but its getting old and every summer something needs fixed. I guess its better than a boat payment. The one thing that is hard is trying to find these old parts. I have a couple gauges that need replaced. We had the covers like you have but they didnt last very long. We have replaced the frames on all the seats and back cover that folds up. I used treated wood this time. I still have the same original interior that you have and I had to replace the four side panles after a cat decided she needed to sharpin her claws. If you plan on keeping it then go ahead and fix it up. If you put a lot of money in it you wont get it back when sold. I already have more in mine than what I could sell it for.

1305431183-IMGP0150two__800x305_.jpg.2e3

My Cobia has the 3.0L 4 cylinder with a Mercruiser Alpha One. It has a fairly new 3 bladed stainless steal prop. Like everything else on the boat, it probably needs to be gone through. When I got the boat, the previous owner had not taken her out in a couple of years, but I did see it out on the water once.

• 9 years later...