Sheepshead bite getting hot!

pondfisher

Well with a few cold fronts having moved in already and the water temp down into the low 60s, the Sheeps have begun to chew. Regular FRESH FROM THE SALT teammate James Davis and I made our maiden winter trip this year and were able to limit out before returning to the dock. Should only get better as we move into February during those really cold days.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 1/16/2017 at 7:01 AM, mulligan said:

Nice haul!  I hope you got that electric fillet knife you were talking about last year:D.

I saw a strange sheepshead this weekend.  Front half black, back half white, no strips.  I have never seen one like that before.

Rick, yes indeed we used two different kinds of electric knives that I found at garage sales over the summer. One is Mister Twister (I think that's an old bass fishing company) and it worked great and the other I think was a Rapala, which also worked great.  This was the first time I've EVER USED an electric knife before so James gave me a little lesson and man we blew through those fish in about half the time.  It's so fast and easy and you don't lose any meat.  Also skins the fillets really well.  We did a little rib cage cleanup on all the fillets before vacuum sealing them but that only took a few minutes.  I am now a huge fan and advocate of electric knives!  I will still use a manual knife for other large, valuable fish, e.g. grouper, snapper, cobia, etc., but if I have a pile of sheeps or grunts or whatever, out comes the electric!  I wish I had known this before.  39 years on the water and just discovering this. I'm 44 now but had rod and reel in hand since the age of 5.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Nice work on the good eats.

Water is at 63 around the house. Picked up a half a dozen of those golden nugget things that eat goofy jigs Sunday. I was surprised but we saw very few of the convicts around and I was in the tower boat. Maybe they are still offshore.

Cap'n, no doubt the majority of the fish are still offshore.  1. The bite was not as fast as usual at our spots, 2. The average size of the fish was smaller, 3. The water temp is still not as cold as when the bite is really good.  I checked my log from the last few years and the best hauls were always mid February to early March.

Nice on the pomps.  Me and skiffin16 used to wreck those things until they messed up our bridge. }:(

Archived