17 vs 18.5 MA

SthurmanFW

Still just trying to learn as much as I can about these amazing boats from the wealth of info here.

i was looking at the specs of the 18.5 MA vs the 17 MA and besides the obvious length difference is the beam really the exact same? I can't imagine a foot makes a huge difference in draft/ride/etc in this particular hull (I know it can make a huge difference in others)

any real world experience based comparison on ride/poling differences? I mean once again besides the obvious is there really a noticeable difference.

there was a phenomenal '97 18.5 in Marco Island I just missed and there is a nice looking 17 on the classified forum now

thanks!

Yes, beam is the same (7"6").

As for the ride, it's all a matter of opinion......and the sea conditions. My one buddy's 22PF seems to ride better than my other buddy's 24PF and both of those buddy's actually agree on that. I found that my 17MA rode better and vice versa for the 18MA, in certain sea conditions. If I had my choice then I'd go with the 18MA. Neither are easily poled.

I own a 22 PF now and previously owned a 24 PF, they both ride well....so I can't speak for the ride of the HPX hull, but I do have two good friends with a 18 Redfisher and other with a 18.5 MA.....they both tell me the HPX will beat your teeth out in choppy water and your butt will be soaked. Great boat to pole....but it will get you wet while running. I can tell you that the 18.5 MA is tough as nails.....and is very stable with two grown men ( Southern cooking creatures ) walking around in the boat. My friend with the 18.5 MA can tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer and he cannot hurt the MA. 

6 hours ago, conocean said:

Can't compare an apple to an orange. A friend of mine had a later model 18HPX and the ride was awful IMO. It poled great tho!

Yup. Ran one(older 18hpx) across Biscayne one day. Ride hurt but it poked and fished quiet. 

On 1/14/2017 at 8:25 AM, SthurmanFW said:

...i was looking at the specs of the 18.5 MA vs the 17 MA and besides the obvious length difference is the beam really the exact same? I can't imagine a foot makes a huge difference in draft/ride/etc in this particular hull (I know it can make a huge difference in others)

any real world experience based comparison on ride/poling differences? I mean once again besides the obvious is there really a noticeable difference.

Quite a bit of difference in my opinion. As for poling that 18.5 though...think Jason said it best...to get the idea just put a big ole Chevy truck in neutral and get in bed with your push pole and move it around a bit to get the feel :D

I think the 18" is an improved difference in ride but it could be due to the added weight. Real life weight on my 18.5 rigged for fishing is more like 2500 pounds even though brochure in 96 said 1000. That number didn't include ...well...mostly everything and especially power. Really depends on how your going to fish it honestly. ITs perfect for me but we certainly don't have miles of shallow water flats. Instead were losing or gaining about a foot of water an hour in NE Florida and do quite a bit of running spot to spot to stay skinny so I kinda like to enjoy the very dry and smooth ride. For more poling that HPX is likely the direction.

Archived