Thoughts on this 2007 18 HPX-V

SthurmanFW

Love to hear the experts thoughts on this one (hull, year, motor, price etc)

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Maverick-18-HPX-V-102908593

i had someone look at this '99 Mirage 2 that I posted about last month

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/5920783488.html

He was pretty sure the supporting fiberglass had been cut/modified under the front casting deck (anybody heard of that?)and it was bouncy, did not feel firm and well supported.

So I plan to probably pass on that one, plus the motor was a '99 as well with some emulsified goo in the lower unit and so who knows how long that thing will live

If you are going to spend that kind of money, hold out and get the new model... It will run circles around that boat... The new design is more along the lines of the Mirage II you were looking at, if that tells you anything about the Mirage !  If you decide you have to have that one, that's to much money !  

Pre 2009 (Hewes Bonefisher/Maverick HPX 18) are totally different boats, the new hulls are much improved in every sense. They're still great boats but as Wayne stated for $30K you're knocking on "'09 and up money" They're not the easiest boats to find and buy used but well worth the wait, and I would think a 2009 / 2010 would be priced somewhere around that mark. Mine was anyway when I bought it in 2012. 

Appreciate you guys answering all my naive questions. So to throw it back to you

what is "pre-2009" type money in a 18HPX(there's another 2004 on here for 29K as well)

really not looking to spend that much

Would you guys recommend trying to get a bottom basement price on the Mirage 2 and take the risk of needing a repower soon and possibly glass work?

As you know, what the market demands and what you're willing to pay is the value of any particular boat. Out of respect for MBC members I won't comment on boats for sale on this forum, if I would have known there was a 2004 for sale on here for $29K I would have kept my opinion (my opinion based on really nothing concrete but personal experience) to myself. With that being said If $29K is above the budget I would probably rule out the newer HPX 18's.

I've been on both ends of the used boat experience several times and I will tell you a bag full of cash and a flexible schedule / spouse that allows you to drive a few hours on a Tuesday night are the most important things.

If you're not dead-set on an 18-foot boat, you can find lots of 17 HPX-Vs in your price range. The 17 HPX-V was introduced around 2002, so there are quite a few around. It was updated a couple of years ago, but the changes aren't as significant as the changes in the 18 HPX-V post 2009. The older 17s are still great. You could expect to find a good one in the $20K to $25K range or maybe less if the boat needs a little work.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback

First, I in no way meant to overstep the boundaries of this forum or violate and protocols by asking the questions I asked

and I sincerely apologize to all the MBG members if I did so

I am new to this type of thing and just trying to gather as much info as possible so as to not be taken advantage of

I want the biggest boat I can get to hold more people and willing to sacrifice pole-ability a little

I probably should look at the 17s as well, the Mirage 2 is actually 17 ft

Thanks again to all

There was no oversteppin' so don't sweat it. I didn't mean to insinuate you were doing anything wrong I just didn't want to torpedoe anyone's listing on here. There's tons of knowledge on here so use it to your full advantage. Good luck with your search, you'll find what you after. 

Now you just need to decide if you want to "hold more people" or "pole-ability"  Four is alot of people a Mirage/HPX, one too many in my opinion and a boat that does both well hasn't been invented yet;)

Besides, unless you regularly fish with gymnasts, jockeys, or toddlers you ain't gettin four full-size Americans plus gear on any HPX if you want to stay within the USCG capacity rating. My 18 is rated at 600lb. 

What Jason said......with me, my girlfriend and two kids we are at max capacity on my 18HPX. I think the 17HPX & 18HPX are great 2-person boats; 3 adults seems tight to me on either rig. But this is coming from a prior owner of a 17MA and I've spent over a hundred hours fishing on an 18' Egret, which both provide massive amounts of storage and wide beams. It's all a trade-off!

Archived