Charlotte Harbor

Capt Larry

You're right, the SW forum isn't getting any love. I fished Englewood most of Dec. and only caught 4 Redfish, saw about 4 more. . I think the Red Tide moved them out of the regular spots. Caught one keeper Grouper 28". Caught about 6 Pompano, but the water temperature was still too hot for them to move into the flats. We're getting two cold fronts in the next three days, that will bring the Pompano into the flats.

We spent a couple days on the water between Lemon Bay and Gasparilla without much luck.  Had a few 22"-24" Snook but not much else.  Also noticed bait is hit-or-miss...loaded up one day and nada two days later.  Might go try the E Wall next weekend if the winds are decent.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, Capt Larry said:

I'm looking forward to a better bite over the next few days, as I said hit and miss....maybe some others will chime in. What's your go to pompano bait? 

Silly-Willy hot pink. I've experimented with everything and every color, but the old Silly-Willy is the best and it is the cheapest.

Been a lot of banging going on over this side of the harbor. Someone has been smoking em. Haven't been since I mined down here last year but have enjoyed some very good ducking off the jersey Del coast puddles and divers. Trying to get a few of these fish dialed in. This tide is crazy.

@SCFD rtrd. I'll get after the pomps here soon.  Been loading up on sheepies too, but I guess no one deems them picture worthy.  You can only duck hunt 69 days a year in Florida, and I do it every day it's open.  I can fish the other 296 LOL!

@Capt Larry If you like hunting divers, and bluebills specifically, the harbor holds thousands of them.  I love watching them work the decoys . . . Posted some pics in a different thread out here

Since I'm relatively new to the area I haven't had the pleasure of pompano or sheepies though I have seen a few sheeps off my dock. Caught many trout and a few good jacks, a few snook but still trying to figure out the latter. Blue bills, mergs, buffleheads know them well and have hunted them very successfully for 25 years. 

• 1 year later...

Archived