New Hewes Owner

Esteban

Hi, I just purchased a 2015 Hewes Redfisher 16 and have a couple of questions regarding the on-board charging system.  My previous boat was old school and I'd have to clip my battery charger leads directly to the battery so this system is new to me.  I have a trolling motor with the 3 battery setup and on-board charger, and my first question is on charging.  When I plug in the power to the charger system where do I set the battery selector switch so that all 3 batteries are getting charged?  The previous owner said I can just leave it in the off position while charging and it will charge all 3 batteries, but that seems counter-intuitive to me.

The second question is what position do I put the switch on during normal operation of the boat?  The on-line owner's manual says to generally keep the switch on position 1 so the motor can charge up the starter battery and only use the 1/2 position if there are problems with the starting battery.  So if I run the boat with the selector switch on position 1 will I still have a hot lead to my trolling motor and will the motor charge the trolling motor batteries as well?  As I said, this is an entirely new system to me so I'm looking for help here to make sure I do it the right way.  Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, one other question.  Since we'll be using this for the occasional swimming and scalloping trips I need to know about adding a removable ladder to this boat.  I can always climb up the back by stepping on the motor cavitation plate, but I'd like something a little more civilized (and the wife certainly would like that as well).  I've looked at the over the gunwale type ladders but the hook width is too short for those.  And with the trim tabs and power pole there's little room on the transom.  Anyone have any solutions or ideas on this?  Thanks.

I'm told to leave the battery switch in the "off" position during charge/maintain.

I have plans in my mind to have a removable boarding ladder fabricated to "mount" on the port side stern. My idea is based off a duck boat ladder for the dog. And I'm wanting it mostly for my Lab. But it will work for people too.

example:

fb3e4a10cd811c820d7a2599206d9efb.jpg

imagesM0QNFPUO.jpg

Battery switch off. When using have it on 1. Your motor wont charge your trolling batteries unless you have a special minn kota or stealth charger. How many batteries do you have and how many banks is the charger designed for?

An ladder like this should work

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/garelick-sport-diver-ladder-35124.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA-rfDBRDeyOybg8jd2U4SJAAoE5Xq0bROlpID9zw8w-1qDJoc1Kyei5KBDsN9hKZYLkNQpRoC6rnw_wcB

I've got 3 batteries, 1 dedicated for the outboard and 2 for the trolling motor.  My charger is a Guest Pro 2610A with 2 banks so my assumption is that it will charge all batteries as needed if I leave the switch on position "off" during the charging process?  Or maybe it's just set up to charge the trolling motor batteries and leave the starter battery to the outboard charger.  Either way I think I know how I need to operate this thing.  Thanks.

As for the ladder, I'm not sure if I can mount a ladder on the transom.  I've got trim tabs sticking out there and I've also got a power pole mounted on the starboard side so I might have to think of a mounting option on the side of the boat near the rear.  However, those Garelick ladders might tilt out away from the boat enough to keep away from the trim tabs but I'd have to talk to someone from their company about that.  Still researching...

x2. Your 2 bank charger charges the trolling batteries only, and the outboard is responsible for charging the cranking battery. Not the absolute best way to do it, but unless you run pumps and accesories all day without ever running the motor then it shouldnt be an issue.

I think the ladder would clear the tabs on a 16. Id give the company a call and find out the setback of the ladder to see if it clears.

Archived