Bench Seat to Captain Chairs

mminassian

Well I finally got the lower unit fixed on the boat and go the boat in the water and started the mfr. break in process for the lower unit and I can't say enough things about this boat.  It's absolutely incredible.  It's everything I wanted and then some more.  With that said, I knew I would have one gripe about the boat and that's the bench seat.  I have a horrible back and if I don't have something with at least lower back support it kills me.  After four hours on the boat yesterday breaking the motor in, my back was pretty much shot.

With that being said, has anyone done a bench seat to captain chair conversion on their 21MA.  Thoughts, comments, likes, dislikes etc?  My biggest concern about captain chairs is kind of how the center console / steering wheel feel very far forward from the bench seat.  I'm concerned that with captain chairs that I won't even get to use the seat back because I'll be too far forward leaning to steer the boat.

I have someone that is gifting me the floor cleats for the seats, so I just need to buy three chairs and the bracket that goes to the bottom of the chair that then slides into the floor cleat.  I'm looking at around 500-700 for three chair setups and really want to know if it's worth it if anyone has already done it.

Look forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

I have 3 Tempress seats on my 18 MA and I really like them. I have no trouble comfortably reaching the wheel, before install test out the seat position. Also my 3 seats are not inline across the deck. The captains seat is more forward at comfortable distance from the wheel, the other 2 are set back few inches. This setup gives more shoulder room for wide guys. The only thing I don't like, the mounting puck can catch a toe when the seat isn't installed. But you learn to know they are there.

Look at these.

https://tempress.com/probax-series-seats/

Also check out Attwood they have some nice looking seats.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/category/seating-systems

My brother-in-law just bought a boat with a folding back-rest. It's attached to the poling platform with hinges. It folds up against the poling platform when not needed and is completely out of the way. Then it folds down to provide a nice back-rest. The seat is just an upholstered pad that slides into a grooved channel. When not needed as a seat, it flops forward and hangs down on the bulkhead, leaving the rear deck wide open.

It's a pretty neat set-up. It's comfortable and can be deployed for use in a matter of seconds, then folded out of the way in the same amount of time.

On 1/2/2017 at 11:18 PM, mminassian said:

Well I finally got the lower unit fixed on the boat and go the boat in the water and started the mfr. break in process for the lower unit and I can't say enough things about this boat.  It's absolutely incredible.  It's everything I wanted and then some more.  With that said, I knew I would have one gripe about the boat and that's the bench seat.  I have a horrible back and if I don't have something with at least lower back support it kills me.  After four hours on the boat yesterday breaking the motor in, my back was pretty much shot.

With that being said, has anyone done a bench seat to captain chair conversion on their 21MA.  Thoughts, comments, likes, dislikes etc?  My biggest concern about captain chairs is kind of how the center console / steering wheel feel very far forward from the bench seat.  I'm concerned that with captain chairs that I won't even get to use the seat back because I'll be too far forward leaning to steer the boat.

I have someone that is gifting me the floor cleats for the seats, so I just need to buy three chairs and the bracket that goes to the bottom of the chair that then slides into the floor cleat.  I'm looking at around 500-700 for three chair setups and really want to know if it's worth it if anyone has already done it.

Look forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

I got three of the tempress ones (and could probably find the brackets) you can have. I will throw them in if you buy the Jeep I have listed on here :-) seriously though...yours for the taking. In NE Florida though. Thats how much I dislike them. I went to a back rest that I put where I needed it. There chairs moved around too much to suit me and as mentioned too far from helm. There are in great shape. I pulled them whenI bought the boat and had Sandy do me an oversize cushion and added a backrest. Mine are 3/4 pin base mounts though and this style: http://tempress.com/store/#!/All-Weather™-High-Back-Boat-Seat-&-Cushion-Combo-White/p/1527434/category=7063819&forcescroll=true

The seats I have are the ones that triplec linked, I went to upgrade to the navstyles but the quick connect bracket doesn't work on them which is weird, I have no issue running the boat, middle seat is schooched a tad bit further up like mentioned, the benefit of the pad is you can flip it out of the way when fishing, the seats can be in the way at times of the main live well.

Triplec do you have pictures of your back rest that you made? That was the other idea that I had as well.

also does anyone have pictures of their captain chair set up?

i got a buddy with some bases I may have to go "borrow" a seat from bass pro and mock it up and see how I like the fit. I just can't handle being slouched forward and if I'm going to be that way in captain chairs no sense spending a bunch of money to not solve a problem.

i never did think of how the seats will definitely be in the way for the live well that is a great point I never even thought of whereas if I did a folding back rest I could fold it out of the way hmmmm

They're the quick disconnects by tempress. I like them because by pushing a flange the seat comes right off but as I said for whatever reason the tempress navistyle seats won't work with them so it's one or the other kind of deal.

I currently run an OFX4 21, pretty squared up 5500 rpms 55ish mph depending on load, I ran a recupped OFX3 which I could get 60 out of with a half tank

I normally run around 40-45, fuel burn is pretty good with the four blade compared to the three but I don't have any numbers, it's not excessive compared to other outboards I've had.

I'm using the same...they work very well for the $$$ and no pipes going into your hatches to rust.

I wanted to be sure it was well secured so I used large pieces of starboard to allow for greater leverage vs standard large washers....

So far, 1 year later...not a problem...on the skinny mini, the passenger has a great seat where you can stretch out your legs when running...

My fishing partner Capt DonH, falls asleep most of the time on the way back from a day of fishing they are so comfortable (LOL) :)

DC

27315158656_3d6afcfb40_z.jpgIMG_0932 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

26742215813_d48d51f07f_z.jpgIMG_0944 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

26742215653_2ccb7d7ec9_z.jpgIMG_0942 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

27315158716_3594b8d129_z.jpgIMG_0935 by Dino Cardelli, on Flickr

My 87 has the bench pad, my 2000 came with three tempress seats already installed.  I didn't think I'd like them, but have found that I absolutely love 'em.  I thought they would be in the way, but they aren't.  I agree with Hurricane - pay attention to where you mount the center one.  Mine is a bit too far back, so, as you said, I don't get to lean back when I'm driving, but I'm usually going over 50 mph anyway, so good for me to stay on my toes. :)

On 1/7/2017 at 9:07 AM, mminassian said:

Triplec do you have pictures of your back rest that you made? That was the other idea that I had as well.

also does anyone have pictures of their captain chair set up?

i got a buddy with some bases I may have to go "borrow" a seat from bass pro and mock it up and see how I like the fit. I just can't handle being slouched forward and if I'm going to be that way in captain chairs no sense spending a bunch of money to not solve a problem.

i never did think of how the seats will definitely be in the way for the live well that is a great point I never even thought of whereas if I did a folding back rest I could fold it out of the way hmmmm

IMG_2403.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived