Minn Kota Ulterra

Lowcountry Joe

32 minutes ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

Just ordered the Ulterra and I am planning on installing it myself.  Is the footprint basically the same as the Riptide ST that I currently have on my boat, or will I be drilling new holes ?  Thanks in advance

it sits signficantly over the bow..new holes required....

I watched several U tube videos on the install and review many pics.....it's an easy install...just need to be sure it's sitting off the bow with enough room for re-stow.

dc

My template slipped just enough to mess up my alignment and I ended up with three wrong holes. It is WAY fwd on the Pathy bow. Almost need to bolt thru behind the rubrail/cap. II have one hole that drilled thru but was tapped and then i put 5200 on the outside hole. Not much room to work with in the anchor hatch on my boat. Others may be different. 

Fairly easy install otherwise. 

I have no first hand knowledge, but sure looks like an ST sits just as far forward as an Ulterra. Worst case might be you need to drill some new holes in the attached mounting bracket and keep the puck mounted to the boat in the same spot.

Would appreciate to know the outcome, I was looking at getting an Ulterra and using my ST as a back up.

19 hours ago, KeeKee Run said:

Does anyone know how much heavier the Ulterra is compared to the st. Couldn't find the weight specs at a glance. I will be using the quick release, taking it on and off each trip. wondering if there is much difference 

You will have Popeye arms if you get out a few times each week. LoL

shipping weight is 68lb...wow. I may need to rethink my original plan of no and off. Boat sits on the trailer in my side yard. this is a pretty pricey item to leave out.

Does anybody else take it off and on using quick release mount?

Also does anyone use the ipilot on a boat that is being trailor'd. Does the TM get hung up on the front roller when putting the boat in the water? My boat dips down when it comes off the front roller

My Redfisher is on trailer, but in garage. I only remove the TM when I take her in for service. The ulterra is a heavy beast. (The weight on the bow is probably a good thing to offset the powerpole and jackplate on the stern, boat sits good in the water no squat). The lock on the quick detach is seriously weak. I wouldn't count on it if there is a chance vandals or thieves.

The TM will ride the trailer bow roller a bit on launch/load depending on ramp conditions. I've had no issues. The ulterra is tougher then it looks. And you will bang it into a dock/piling sooner or later.  

On 1/2/2017 at 8:30 AM, Lowcountry Joe said:

Just ordered the Ulterra and I am planning on installing it myself.  Is the footprint basically the same as the Riptide ST that I currently have on my boat, or will I be drilling new holes ?  Thanks in advance

Joe do you have the old or new model Riptide ST. I pulled off an newer Riptide ST iPilot and my Ulterra was direct fit but I run quick release. Do you use the quick release? If so any MK motor running the RTA 17 is direct fit. Not so with the older longer skinnier RTA 19 mounts.

10 hours ago, KeeKee Run said:

shipping weight is 68lb...wow. I may need to rethink my original plan of no and off. Boat sits on the trailer in my side yard. this is a pretty pricey item to leave out.

Also does anyone use the ipilot on a boat that is being trailor'd. Does the TM get hung up on the front roller when putting the boat in the water? My boat dips down when it comes off the front roller

I have run them for probably 6 years now on trailered boat. Whenever first gen ipilot came out anyway. Think it was early 2011. Never had and issue with it hanging on bow roller. As mentioned the Ulterra is a bit heavier alright. I always use quick release mounts though just in case they have to go in for service. And...they sometimes do. I didn't notice it being too much more bulky than the ipilot to remove. I guess it would depend on how often you use it as to the effort to remove. I sure wouldn't want to lug that sucker far...or often.

The hanging on the bow roller is due to the stern lifting up as the boat floats on the trailer. To minimize this dont put the boat any further in the water than necessary to remove it. Also the steeper the ramp the more the stern will lift. To overcome this some people will have a short safety chain and bump the boat back a foot while going down the ramp just before the boat gets to the water.

Triplec,

I have an 8 year old ST and no quick release mount so I'm pretty sure I'll need to fill the old holes and drill new ones. 

Update : I received my Ulterra yesterday and after emptying the box, the i-pilot (remote) is not what is pictured in the manual. It doesn't have the deploy/stow button , I have no idea how to deploy this motor. All the owner's manuals for the i-pilot show the deploy/stow button and none show my i-pilot or how to use it to deploy the motor. I will call Minn Kota today 

32 minutes ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

Triplec,

I have an 8 year old ST and no quick release mount so I'm pretty sure I'll need to fill the old holes and drill new ones. 

Update : I received my Ulterra yesterday and after emptying the box, the i-pilot (remote) is not what is pictured in the manual. It doesn't have the deploy/stow button , I have no idea how to deploy this motor. All the owner's manuals for the i-pilot show the deploy/stow button and none show my i-pilot or how to use it to deploy the motor. I will call Minn Kota today 

Where did you get it from ?

Sounds like a return and the remotes were confused...

dc

1 hour ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

Joe, Sounds like thats the new and latest version you have there. Unless you were able to buy one someone had on closeout that is the only remote available now. 

Bought it on line from Universal Maniac but it was a sealed and packaged box from Minn Kota so I have to believe I should

start there. They will probably tell me to return it to the dealer for an exchange.

Triplec , if this is the only remote available how do you deploy the motor ?  The remote in the manual has a specific deploy/store button.

1 hour ago, Lowcountry Joe said:

Bought it on line from Universal Maniac but it was a sealed and packaged box from Minn Kota so I have to believe I should

start there. They will probably tell me to return it to the dealer for an exchange.

Triplec , if this is the only remote available how do you deploy the motor ?  The remote in the manual has a specific deploy/store button.

Can you take an iphone pic of the remote...I can't believe MK would include the wrong remote?  But "S" happens.

Dc

On 1/4/2017 at 8:54 AM, KeeKee Run said:

Mine goes off and on every trip...I never leave it on the boat, not even overnight in my front yard...to easy to grab and run.

dc

Archived